Reviewers Rating: Excellent
We recently stayed at Vistaero along with our four children. Overall, we all thought that it was an impressive villa...so much so that we fear that our children will think that all places we stay should be as nice. With that said, and understanding that you will want to know the "down and dirty" on a place that you are considering for your vacation, we thought it made sense to list the positives and negatives of the villa.
Let's start on a positive note:
1. The pool is huge and beautiful...it became the focal point for our afternoons. The six of us could drift on floats at the same time and never smack heads.
2. The bedrooms, except for the master, are relatively equal...a good thing if you are traveling with kids or that finicky other couple who complains about everything.
3. The views are stunning...you overlook Rendezvous Bay, have views of Ditliff Point, and STT to the west.
4. The place is huge...it's like renting your own hotel...seriously, it is massive.
5. It is relatively close to town. We usually stay in Fish Bay, so we are used to a longer drive to Cruz Bay. Vistaero is 7 mins. to Starfish...we timed it.
6. It is nicely decorated in a West Indian style...the furniture is nicer than ours at home.
7. The villa agency, Destination STJ, was wonderful. One of the AC units in a bedroom broke and they were out within a day to fix it.
Okay, let's touch on some things that were not as positive as they could have been:
1. The villa is virtually impossible to lock up. O, sure, there are huge, wooden hurricane doors that you could lock, but to do so you would have to go around to each bedroom...they all are accessable from the outside...and each entrance to the great room. Given the size of this villa, this could be a half hour job. We just left the place open...we were told that most people do.
2. In light of the above, we were surprised that the safe did not work. Instead, there is a small lock box in the closet in the master bedroom. It was tough fitting all the kids' ipods in there when we went out.
3. Speaking of ipods, the stereo in the great room does not have AUX jacks...so you need the FM transmitter if you want to use your ipod.
4. Three of the bedrooms are located on a lower level, and not accessable from inside. If you have younger kids, they will feel quite far away.
5. Plastic dishware would have been nice, given that the villa uses the pool area as its focal point.
6. Wished it had a phone answering machine.
In conclusion, the pictures on the website accurately depict the villa...sort of. It is way bigger and much more grand in real life. We found the biggest negative to be the inability to lock up when we went into town and at night. At night, we worried a bit about the kids who were sleeping on the lower level.
Pete and Marcia
Pete and Marcia
Visit our Villa rentals page for the widest selection of privately owned villas and rental agents