Reviewers Rating: Great
Sea Biscuit - August 22-29, 2008 (Sorry this review is a little late)
The road to Sea Biscuit is "Harold's Way", the first right after Aqua Bistro and Crabby's Watersports. Up the road, the 2nd driveway on the left (shared with the Blue house below - Bay house I think is the name). The driveway is a little tricky but not difficult, just awkward. The bottom floor off the parking area has an outdoor shower (very handy for washing off feet after beach days) and a general storage area, as well as the grill. The house was well stocked with beach chairs, two coolers (plus Windspree gives you a small cooler as a thank you/welcome gift), a beach bag and some beach toys.
From this area you head up a set of stairs to the main house. To the left at the top is another short set of steps up to the pool, pool deck and hot tub with to die for views! To the right is the entrance to the house and the wrap around decking. The laundry is also outside in a closet-like structure.
You enter Sea Biscuit into an open room with the kitchen, dining area and living room. The living room is comfortably furnished and cozy. Not too large, but perfect for a small family or two couples. There is a nice tv and dvd player (important to us w/ kids). The Kitchen was very clean and looked brand new. It was very well stocked with spices, ice packs, utensils, new sponges, nice dish towels, plenty of paper towels and dish soap. There was also an abundant supply of bug spray which came in handy later in the week! There is also a powder room on this level. The house is very sweet with a killer view of coral bay harbor.
Heading up the interior stairs, there are two bedrooms each with a private bath with a view from the shower. To the left is the master with an even better view of Coral Bay Harbor, a queen bed with great sheets and a well stocked bathroom. To the right is the "kids room" which I believe can be converted into a king bed if needed.
I only have minor, inconsequential recommendations for the house (none of these were big issues at all):
1) I wish the ceiling fans (there are three on the main level) did a better job of circulating the air. We checked and they were going in the right direction, I think the blades were just pretty warped and thus didn't do a great job of creating a good airflow. We were there in AUGUST, so it was pretty hot. Other times of the year I would imagine the house would have been much cooler.
2) As a mom of an 18 month old at the time, I wished the sliding screens locked. I am not even sure if this is possible, but with 3 large sliders to watch for escapes by the kiddo, it would have been nice to be able to lock them or latch them in some way. Basically we ended up keeping the glass closed and locked way more than we would have liked, probably added to the warmness of the main level.
3) The beach chairs were pretty skimpy. It was nice that they were VERY portable, but they weren't super sturdy. They worked they just weren't very comfy.
4) The grill is on the lower/parking area level which is not convenient to the kitchen or the upper deck with views. I'd prefer it to be up on the main deck, maybe even by the pool.
5) The upper master bedroom got some ferocious wind. We got rain and wind just about every night (all days were clear and sunny except 2 mornings for a couple hours) so perhaps it was the time or year or Gustav hanging around but it literally woke me up at least 50% of the nights from a dead sleep.
All in all a wonderful, quaint sweet perfect little house!
Visit our Villa rentals page for the widest selection of privately owned villas and rental agents