Follow the Christiansted map for this historic tour.
Begin a tour of historic Christiansted at Fort Christian, which was built by the Danish in 1749 and is complete with dungeons and cannons (although it never saw battle). Across D. Hamilton Jackson Park is the Old Danish Customs House and Post Office, built in 1751 and converted to the Christiansted Library in 1926.
Around the corner on Company Street is the current U.S. Post Office and Customs House, originally the West Indies & Guinea Company Warehouse. Slave auctions used to be held in the courtyard here. The Steeple Building is across the street. Formerly the Lutheran Church, it is now the National Park Service Museum with displays of St. Croix's history from the time of the Indians. A short distance up Company Street is Apothecary Hall, an 18th century pharmacy now housing offices and shops. Just off Company, on Queen Cross Street, is the Visitors Bureau, a source of helpful information. Continue along Company to Market Place, especially colorful on Saturday mornings.