is there a 'season' for the best snorkeling?

Travel discussion for St. John
lark22

is there a 'season' for the best snorkeling?

Post by lark22 »

We're planning a trip in December and we're wondering whether the snorkeling isn't as good at that time because the water is slighly colder then (not as many varieties of marine life, etc.?)

We're so obsessed with finding good snorkeling that we'd be willing to move the dates of our trip!

Thanks for any advice (and hello, by the way...this is my first official post, but you've all been more helpful in my planning than you know!) :)
Randy in MD

Snorkeling Season

Post by Randy in MD »

I find that the difference in snorkeling at different times of year isn't so much the abundance of fish (or lack of), it's the surf conditions. The best snorkeling we've had in 9 trips was just last month. The seas were extremely calm and clear, and we were able to reach a few nooks and crannies at Honeymoon/Salomon and Jumbie that we'd never seen before. In the winter, the north shore is more susceptible to the cold fronts that come sweeping down from the north and bringing some large swells with them. But when that happens, we just move to the south shore! There's never really a "bad" time...
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I've always gone in December so can't comapre to toher times of the year. However, I can say that the snorkeling rocks! There are, I think, 30 beaches on STJ. You can snorkel succesfully off of almost every one of them. If the surf is kicking up sand on one, just drive to another one.
lark22

thanks, guys!

Post by lark22 »

thanks, guys...that makes me feel a bit better! We're REALLY looking forward to the trip, and snorkeling's one of the main reasons we're coming to StJ.

Now if I could only speed up the months till December....

:P
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Speed up the time til December?!!! No kidding!!

Seriously, if snorkeling is your thing...ST John is the place to be!

Please find the book Feet, Fins and FWD. Very detailed descriptions of snorkeling spots including skill level.

I highly reccomend Waterlemon Cay, Haulover (either side), Pelican Rock.

Also do a day charter (sail or power boat). They'll bring you to the spots you can only get to by boat like Newfound Bay. Awesome!
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

The best season for snorkeling on STJ is whatever season that you are going to be there.
Bob & Anita
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We've snorkeled numerous times in December, as well as other times of the year. We didn't find a lot of difference, except that the North Shore of STJ can be a bit rougher. It made for some very mirky water in December 04 and again in December 05. So instead of trying to snorkel those North Shore Beaches, we just headed elsewhere. Including Mahoe, Francis, Gibney, and all the South Shore.

And with ALL the other beaches to snorkel, Trunk or Cinnamon won't be too terribly missed! And remember there is NO SUCH THING as a bad day at Trunk Bay! Just sitting and staring at the water soothes my soul..........okay okay....pass the kleenex. I LOVE STJ!! :D

Happy Planning! Keep your fingers crossed for us, trying to get down in December of this year!

Jan (aka "Charlie")