Our First Attempt at Carry-on only.

Travel discussion for St. John
ScottB

Our First Attempt at Carry-on only.

Post by ScottB »

Hello folks,

Well, we are finally appraching our first St John trip, and it's been a long wait as we've been counting down the days from about 300+. We leave at the end of November, and couldn't be more excited.

We are going to attempt to make the journey with just carry-ons for the first time. Our plan is to bring the one carry-on each, and a snorkeling bag. Due to recent events, we are already planning on just buying shampoo & toothpaste when we get there.

My question is this: Due to limited packing space in our carry-ons, the Neat Sheet might not be able to fit (we have the big one). Are there Neet Sheets available on St John?

As usual, thanks for any help you guys can provide. Only 104 days to go........
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I'd leave the Neat Sheet at home.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I have not seen a neat sheet here - sorry :(
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

I'd check a bag- not that big of a deal.

If you are traveling with a female partner, how's she gonna bring mascara, nail polish and such? Not that women need make-up of course, but most seem to wear it..... :wink:

I'm sure it's expensive on STJ too.....
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

We're going in December and planned only carry on too. Now we figure we'll just check one bag with anything we can't carry on. This will allow for bringing other stuff too :D

As to Neat Sheets, we,ve been there before with out them & I don't see a reason to bring one this time. allthough with the extra bag maybe we will.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
ScottB

No Make-Up-No problem

Post by ScottB »

No biggy on the make-up. Although my wife does wear some, she usually doesn't worry about it while on the islands.

Thanks for the gracious replies all. Since Gallows supplies chairs & coolers, we might be able to leave the Neat Sheet at home. Definitely determined to not check any bags, and remove one hassle from the whole airport routine.....
Virginia-Gal

Post by Virginia-Gal »

ScottB - I'm with you, I'm determined not to check in any luggage! Too much hassel.
Always dreaming about my next Caribbean vacation!
Barb

Re: Our First Attempt at Carry-on only.

Post by Barb »

ScottB wrote:Hello folks,

Well, we are finally appraching our first St John trip, and it's been a long wait as we've been counting down the days from about 300+. We leave at the end of November, and couldn't be more excited.

We are going to attempt to make the journey with just carry-ons for the first time. Our plan is to bring the one carry-on each, and a snorkeling bag. Due to recent events, we are already planning on just buying shampoo & toothpaste when we get there.

My question is this: Due to limited packing space in our carry-ons, the Neat Sheet might not be able to fit (we have the big one). Are there Neet Sheets available on St John?

As usual, thanks for any help you guys can provide. Only 104 days to go........
Just a question how since you are only allowed one carry on per person how are you able to bring a snorkeling bag? I am just being curious as when I carried one aboard I was told only one carry on plus a purse. I had to check one of the bag again just curious. :?: As well did my husband.
Barb
A Dream can be only a wish away
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Just a question how since you are only allowed one carry on per person how are you able to bring a snorkeling bag? I am just being curious as when I carried one aboard I was told only one carry on plus a purse. I had to check one of the bag again just curious. :?: As well did my husband.[/quote]

I was under the impression each person was allowed 1 carry-on, and 1 personal item (snorkel gear).

For those that have made the journey w/o checking bags, can anyone chime in with what I can bring on?
Thanks
luv2travel

Post by luv2travel »

I have always carried on 1 case as well as a separate snorkle bag.

Last February I also brought my laptop in a backpack, but packed my fins in my carry-on.

Of course all this was pre-8/10 (aka) Black Thursday so who knows what our favorite airlines will do now/in future!
Barb

Post by Barb »

ScottB wrote:Just a question how since you are only allowed one carry on per person how are you able to bring a snorkeling bag? I am just being curious as when I carried one aboard I was told only one carry on plus a purse. I had to check one of the bag again just curious. :?: As well did my husband.
I was under the impression each person was allowed 1 carry-on, and 1 personal item (snorkel gear).

For those that have made the journey w/o checking bags, can anyone chime in with what I can bring on?
Thanks[/quote]

All I can go by is what happen to us last May with USAIR. I had friends that flew last Friday & she did what you are going to do but was told one carry on and the snorkel bag was the same size of the other carry on & Gate attendant said she would have to check one of them. That is what I going by. I guess you can try & depends on airlines. Everything is changing on what you can carry on. :?
Barb
A Dream can be only a wish away
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Friends just flew to the Bahamas this weekend. They were allowed only 1 carry on. They were told that they had to check anything but 1 personal item. I called AA and they confirmed that for right now, you have to check everything but 1 personal item.

I think the days of carrying on everything are gone.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

ScottB wrote:Just a question how since you are only allowed one carry on per person how are you able to bring a snorkeling bag? I am just being curious as when I carried one aboard I was told only one carry on plus a purse. I had to check one of the bag again just curious. :?: As well did my husband.

Thanks[/quote]

Check the airlines website for allowed carry on dimensions. They should list the carry-on as well as the "personal item". My personal item has always been a small to medium back pack... think of something of the size that you can fit under the seat in front of you. We were fortunate to find a 24" wheeled duffel at Eddie Bauer (I say fortunate because most carry on specific luggage are 22" and the next step up tends to be 25-26.) . This is the perfect fit for the overhead compartments and will hold every ones fins and snorkels plus most of my clothes. 2 years ago, I took 5 pairs of fins. Masks are packed with other carry-ons.

I strongly advise taking a minimum amount of clothing and make that for only half a week. Many rentals have laundry and the laudry services on the island are drop off am, pick up pm convenient.

Also, we tried those manual vacuum storage bags this past trip and they were helpful.

Finally, forget about bringing food down; it's always bulky, sometimes heavy, and will always take up much more space than it's worth.
Cindy in pa

Post by Cindy in pa »

Tell you what, I just came back. Keep the neat sheet and put it in a small suitcase to check. You will need that suitcase and the neat sheet to get your 6 liters of booze home! Wrap it up tight and it will make it home in one piece.
ScottB

Copied from US air website

Post by ScottB »

Carry-On Baggage
In addition to one carry-on bag, customers may bring one personal item, which includes a purse, briefcase, laptop, small daypack (small bag used to carry books, magazines, sack lunch, etc.) or diaper bag.

Also be aware of the following limitations: Baggage Scale

* When baggage is carried onboard the aircraft, it must be stowed in carry-on compartments of the aircraft, under a seat, or in an overhead compartment, approved for the carriage of such baggage.
* US Airways assumes no responsibility for liability of baggage, or other items, carried in the passenger compartment of the aircraft.
* Operational or safety considerations may require limitations to the allowable carry-on baggage on a specific flights. US Airways reserves the right to determine the suitability of any bag to be carried in the cabin of the aircraft.