Cooler Packing

Travel discussion for St. John
pipanale

Cooler Packing

Post by pipanale »

Here I go...time to start packing the cooler for the Great Food Pack of 2006.

We have several frozen goods like steaks, chicken, hot dogs, FCOJ containers. I'm not sure if I'm going to supplement with "blue ice packs". I may so we can use them once we're on STJ and exploring.

So, I have a soft-sided cooler bag. What's the best advice for getting everything in there nice and snug and cool? I plan to ice down the cooler from the night before to start cooling the internal temperature.

What should go where? Do I put towels on tiop of the food for extra insulation? The zipper closure is not air-tight so I have to try to avoid a lot of "cooling loss".

We also have dry goods like a can of coffee, some spices, a cake mix (celebrating a birthday down there). Hide them off to a side of the cooler?

And, I marked my cooler in 2004 with a message that said "Hey TSA: There's food in here". Because who knows what 3 poulds of steak looks like under the X-ray. I know that my little ankle weights that I use to exercise my balky knee look like dynamite. Should I do the same this time?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Virginia-Gal

Techi Ice

Post by Virginia-Gal »

I bought 4 sheet of Techni Ice off of Ebay for $9.00. Every thing I've read about it is very positive. The sheets are reusable and keep your food frozen for a longer period of time which will be great for us because we have to stay in a hotel the night before our flight to St John. It is suppose to keep food frozen longer than dry ice. I received the Techni Ice sheets last week but haven't tried them yet. I also thought they'd also be handy in the cooler for the week there.

I was wondering how security would react to the frozen blue things and also to ice in a cooler since the liquid bomb scare.

Jo Ann
Always dreaming about my next Caribbean vacation!
FlaGeorge

Shipping Stuff to STJ

Post by FlaGeorge »

packages to and they will hold them

The Mail Center at the Marketplace
340-714-7250
www.mailcentervi.com

Connections Cruz Bay
340-776-6922
www.connectionsstjohn.com

I went out to the Post Office site ( http://postcalc.usps.gov/ ) and calculated what a 20 lb package would cost from my zip code to STJ (00831). It turned out that Priority Mail was only $26.70.

You can put all your other stuff (neat sheet, toothpaste, sunscreen, ect…) into a package and have it waiting for you when you get there.

You might want to check with the airlines / TSA to see if you can even carry food on any longer/
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I don't plan to carry any of this on with me. It's all getting checked. I thought about the frozen liquids, but figured that if you can check your shampoo (or another liquid), can't you check frozen blue stuff?

I may try to contact the TSA about frozen foods. I had done so in 2004, but it ain't 2004 anymore.
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Last time we went we packed a soft sided cooler with some frozen meat and a couple ice packs. We put the soft sided cooler in a third suitcase- smushed it down a little. and then filled the rest of the suitcase with snorkel stuff and some dry goods.

Worked great!!! Meat was still frozen hard as a brick when we got to our villa.

Watch the weight tho.... 50 lbs. Better to take an extra suitcase than get charged $$ by the airline. We don't bring many clothes, but all the other stuff gets heavy- masks, fins, etc.
FlaGeorge

Great Idea

Post by FlaGeorge »

tjwgrr wrote:Last time we went we packed a soft sided cooler with some frozen meat and a couple ice packs. We put the soft sided cooler in a third suitcase- smushed it down a little. and then filled the rest of the suitcase with snorkel stuff and some dry goods.

Worked great!!! Meat was still frozen hard as a brick when we got to our villa.

Watch the weight tho.... 50 lbs. Better to take an extra suitcase than get charged $$ by the airline. We don't bring many clothes, but all the other stuff gets heavy- masks, fins, etc.

That's a great idea. In the past - I would bring down a sofe-sided cooler full of food. And then fill the empty cooler with booze for the trip home. I like the idea of "Double Bagging" the luggage. Should protect the booze better for the trip home.

Thanks for the idea.
FlaGeorge

beverly

Post by beverly »

Hi pipanale...when we went down in July we brought a soft sided cooler filled with steaks, chicken, etc....I used 6 sheets of Incredi-ice, one on each side and one on the top and bottom...it worked out great...the food stayed frozen and the ice was great to put in the cooler for drinks when we went to the beach (It was also great for when I tripped at the villa and landed on my knee!! It forms right around the leg) Have a great trip!!
Coden

Post by Coden »

The trouble, Ha-ha-ha, of going deep sea fishing is that you might actually catch something and if you do, how in the heck do you get it home?? The answer is:

Newspaper, newspaper, newspaper...we just brought home a boat load of fish from Florida...10 1/2 hours in the car, in the trunk no less. When we got home it was rock hard solid. We took a soft sided cooler, lined the bottom and sides with newspaper, put the frozen fish in, put newspaper on top, then a beach towel and closed it up. No melting at all. We had no other ice or ice packets or fake ice or anything...just Newspaper.
Coden
New England

Mailing dry goods

Post by New England »

Hey Fla George,

Have you or anyone else ever mailed drygoods ahead of time??? I am just wondering how it worked out.

Which of the two places you named are closest to the ferry dock in STJ? Do you know if they charge a fee to "hold" the items for you??

Thanks
FlaGeorge

Re: Mailing dry goods

Post by FlaGeorge »

New England wrote:Hey Fla George,

Have you or anyone else ever mailed drygoods ahead of time??? I am just wondering how it worked out.

Which of the two places you named are closest to the ferry dock in STJ? Do you know if they charge a fee to "hold" the items for you??

Thanks

No - I have never shipped to STJ. I emailed Connections and here is their reply:

And, hi to you. We do accept and send packages. We ask that you not send packages far in advance of arrival as storage is limited - usually 7-10 days before you arrive is adequate for priority mail. Most packages cost $5 - $10/piece, depending on weight and size and storage time.

I don't know which is closer tot the docks - maybe Pia or StJohnRuth can help with that,
FlaGeorge

Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi everyone,

Connections is very close to the ferry dock - it's in the same "block" as JJ's and is opposite the bank (if that makes sense) on the corner where the "one way" street starts. Do send things down Priority Mail as it's the cheapest way to go, but it takes, on average, 8-10 days, even though the PO in the States will tell you 2-3 days (which is their guarantee) it absolutely is not - "island time" you know :D

Pia