Reading only new responses - help

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Reading only new responses - help

Post by Pia »

Hi everyone

Trying my best to get used to this "new" forum so any advise is appreciated - so here is my question - I think there is a way to only see the "new" responses to a posted question and not have to scroll down all the ones you have already read (I think I read something about a link on the right hand side of the home page but I can't find it or maybe it's that I don't know what I am looking for)

Help please :D

Pia

Oh - and how do you get the little personalized photos next to your name?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

when someone responds it pushes the entire thread to the top. and it will also show the little piece of paper to the left of the posts with a different color if there is a new response. the paper is yellow (?) if there is a new reponse and white if you read it already.

Does that help?

There are little pictures under the profile section. You can also custom make one but I don't know how to do that - I stick to the basics!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hi Pia! Glad to see your post! :)

Ok, to only see the posts since your last visit, go to the "Index" page (see the link above) and in the upper rt. hand corner there are 3 links that say View Posts Since Last Visit, View Your Posts, and View Unanswered Posts. All you have to do is click on what it is that you want to see.

As to the little picture (Avatar) next to everyone's name, go to your Profile page and scroll down to the bottom. You'll see "Avatar Control Panel". You can browse your own hard drive for a picture you want to use (it has to be reduced to 50 x 50 pixels & not bigger than 6KB) or you can click "Show Gallery" and pick a picture from there.

If you want to use your own picture and you have trouble reducing it, I will be happy to help you. I've helped Robin in NC, CariBert & liamsaunt make their's work. Have a look at those and see what you think, and if you decide you want help, PM me :)
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

That was a really helpful response but for the life of me I can't see anything indicating "index" or a link to "index" or a drop down menu showing the options you mentioned. I thought I saw them before but I can't find them anywhere now--not on the page that I'm reading your response on nor if I back arrow to 'home' anything there. Please help!
Jan N.

Post by Jan N. »

look at the top or bottom of the page you're reading this message on. It says, in green,

Virgin-Islands-On-Line Forum Index -> U.S. Virgin Islands Travel Forum

Click on the one that says Index. That'll do it.
Jan N.
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

That's great. NOW I got it. Thank you Jan!!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Thanks everyone :D

Pia
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Thanks California Girl! Great tips. Did you already know all this stuff, or are you a very quick learner?!
Pia, do you know that if you click on the little piece of paper next to the last poster's name it will bring you to the last post in the thread? That's pretty useful.
-Ruth
Pia

Post by Pia »

Ruth........yeh, that's what I was looking for :D (thanks to everyone else too)
California Girl

Hi Ruth -

Nope, I'm as new at this as anyone else, but I'm pretty computer literate so I figure things out quickly. I just dinked around the first couple of days and clicked on just about everything to figure out how it all worked. Plus, I have the advantage of knowing Photoshop, so I like to offer my help to anyone who needs it to make their avatar personalized. No charge - LOL!!!!
:lol:
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Take California Girl up on the Avatar thing if you are having trouble. I LOVE mine and she did it for me.

I know my avatar may seem simple, but I couldn't find one anywhere on the avatar sites. She used her photoshop to make mine.

nothintolose
California Girl

Gawrsh, thanks :D
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Wow, lots of useful information here guys. Thanks!!!