Snorkel Waist Belts?

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Snorkel Waist Belts?

Post by Coden »

In someone's pictures the other day, I think Bob&Anita's?, I saw what looked like Snorkel Waist Belts, versus a snorkeling vest. Does anyone know where I can get something like that?

Thnx!
Coden
jmq

Post by jmq »

What you may have seen on B&A were were weight belts that help you dive as detailed in their trip reports. Your reference to snorkel vest implies you may be looking for flotation assistance. An alternative to the vest is a water ski belt available at amazon.

I used it for a long snorkel around Waterlemon where for some reason I am prone to foot cramps. Tucked into side or bottom of suitcase, it doesnt weigh much and might now provide some padding for bottles of rum on way back. My family laughed at me for wearing it, but I did get a cramp and I was able to just lean back, relax and work it out.

JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Coden

Post by Coden »

jmq - Thnx!! What are your views on comfort of wearing the belt versus a vest?
Coden
jmq

Post by jmq »

Cant speak to the vest - never used one. The belt was not uncomfortable around the waist.

Another "accessory" that is actually closer to a necessity for worry free snorkeling and doesnt get a lot of mention here is wearing a rash guard aka surf shirt. I have 2 that I live in down in the VIs. Yeah, this results in a "golfers" or "farmers" tan, but these quick drying shirts guarantee no sun burned back from snorkeling. And who needs more sun damage to play connect the dots with on their back?
LLBean has ones that are a little looser fitting than the shirts you find in the surf shops that tend to be sized for 20 something yr olds.
JMQ
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I live on a river and kayak often. I always wear one of those yellow belts around my waist...more freeing and comfortable than a regular vest.

I used to take it to St. John for snorkeling (I really don't like to be in water over my head), but the water is so salty down there I don't think I could sink if I tried.
Robin in NC

Thumbs up on the flotation belt

Post by Robin in NC »

Well, if you kept your thumbs up the belt, you wouldn't snorkel very well. Anyway, the Fabulous Jeannie isn't a strong swimmer, so she wore the belt as a newbie. She had a great experience with it, and in fact was so successful that I'm going to wear one myself the next time we go.

Robin
Bob & Anita

Re: Snorkel Waist Belts?

Post by Bob & Anita »

Coden wrote:In someone's pictures the other day, I think Bob&Anita's?, I saw what looked like Snorkel Waist Belts, versus a snorkeling vest. Does anyone know where I can get something like that?

Thnx!
jmq is correct, the belts we had on are weight belts, not waist belts. Can't speak to the comfort and performance of a waist belt versus a vest, but a vest might tend to lift your upper body more out of the water, thus positioning your feet better for using the flippers - just a thought.
Bob & Anita
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

The ski belts are great!! They pack wonderfully and help keep stuff in place in a cheap suitcase! The difference between a vest and the belt is like night and day, you never know the belt is there. And if you get tired of it or want to dive down, just a click on the buckle and it's off!

Last year I used a noddle from the villa pool because I left my ski belt at home. It worked just fine, just a little extra security if ya know what I mean :wink: . I personally wouldn't snorkel Waterlemon or far out @ Francis without one. But I'm not in the best physical shape either. Got caught out pretty far @ Francis once when a storm blew through, glad I had my belt.

Jan (aka Charlie)
Sunflower

Snorkle/water ski belt

Post by Sunflower »

I've used the ski belt for years and just love it. Would not be able to snorkle without it...I do not, repeat, do not, know how to swim at all, and yet with the belt, I've been in hundreds of feet of water in the VIs, Mexico and Hawaii. That along with my prescription mask has made all the difference for me. My first snorkel experience was in Hawaii - without a prescription mask, and everyone kept saying, did you see that? did you see that? I saw nothing but cloudy water! and my flotation accessory at that time was a boogie board. So I highly recommend the ski belt. It is very comfortable, and not at all cumbersome. Get one :!:
Virginia-Gal

Post by Virginia-Gal »

]Does anyone know where I can purchase a ski belt on line?
Always dreaming about my next Caribbean vacation!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Okay, now I'm really confused. Does the ski belt help you stay under the water for snorkeling? Is that what you use it for?

How is it a floatation device? Or is it? :roll:

I was thinking about using a noodle but then if I wanted to go under, what do I do with the noodle?
Coden
jmq

Post by jmq »

OK - the water ski belt gives you some floatation assistance - makes it easier to just hang and tread water in either horizontal postion (to snorkel) or vertical postion (to adjust mask, deal with a cramp, etc.)
Froogle "water ski belt" and amazon.com among other online retailers should come up.

With the weight belts you are strapping on EXTRA weight to conteract your natural bouancy and assist you with diving down etc.
JMQ
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Ski belts help you float, they originally were a floatation device for water skiers, hence ski belt. It is essentially a belt of foam that is cover with plastic, see picture that jmq posted.

A ski belt, or waist belt as some are calling them, should not be confused with a weight belt, which is also a belt that goes around your waist, but it has pockets to put in weight bags.
Bob & Anita
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks all for helping me figure it out, I understand it now. I don't want to buy too many things before going, but being so new at snorkeling I want to make sure that we have everything that we need in order to have successful snorkels.

Thnx again!
Coden
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

I used the ski belt in May for the first time and it was great. It enabled me to snorkel everywhere and considering I really can't swim, I was in heaven.
We rented the belt at Hurrican Hole in town along with fins. I just bring my own mask. Price is very reasonable so there really is no need to drag the belt down in your suitcase. It is kind of clumsy.