Orchids?

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Post by Coden »

Hello Gidget Picklebrain (Love that name!!!) May I ask a question? How many hours of sun per day does an orchid need during the winter? I've often wanted an orchid, or two or twenty! but never thought I could grow one where I live. But if you are in Maine and do then I know that I will be able to as well.

Thnx!!
Coden
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

How much sun depends on what genus you've got. In general Paphiopedulum, Phalaenopsis, and Oncidium grow well in standard room temperature in an east or north window (west or south with protection). Cattleya, Dendrobium and Vanda need more light and do better with a western or southern exposure.

Their roots are aerial roots, in nature they grow clinging to tree bark, so they are potted in bark to give them the sharp drainage they need. Because they are grown in bark, not soil, you have to water them daily for the most part, especially when they are putting out new root and leaf growth. The high light plants prefer to go dry between waterings. The low light plants will also survive being allowed to dry out between waterings but are not as likely to flower if you do that to them all the time.

They all like high humidity so really enjoy being outdoors during the hot, humid summers here in Maryland but must come in if the night temperature drops below 55 degrees. They also like a very dilute fertilization evey so often. I keep them all in the shade of an oak tree when outdoors - even the high light varieties get sunburned if I expose them to full sun outdoors in the summer.

They are not difficult to keep alive but if you don't give them the right conditions they won't bloom so they are not something you can pot and just forget about.

When I was getting started I got some books and read up on their growing requirements, decided what would work best for me, then shopped for those particular types. There are a lot more types than what I have listed, and also hybrids between types as well. You have to consider the growing requirements for each of the parents when dealing with a hybrid.

The most common orchids I see for sale these days are the phalaenopsis, I have found them the easiest to grow and the most consistant to flower if I don't keep up with them the way I should.

I'm no expert, I ust enjoy them as a hobby. Everything I just told you is stuff I got from reading books and from personal experience.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

PS - I am in Maryland, not Maine, but you can grow them indoors year round if you want to.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks so much for the info. I think I'll go to the library and get some books on orchids and read up on them. I had no idea they could just be grown as normal household plants. I'll look around the plant suppliers here to and see if I can pick one up locally. Thanks again!
Coden
tencats

Post by tencats »

Coden, I am now in North Carolina and have seen them at Lowe's, very nice ones for sale.... Also, when I lived in Michigan, I saw some nice ones at Lowe's and Home Depot stores up there. Good luck, they are beautiful, to me, even when not in bloom. 8)