Mingo, Lovango, and Congo Cays

Travel discussion for St. John
KenJ

Mingo, Lovango, and Congo Cays

Post by KenJ »

Hello again..Has anyone out there snorkeled around any of these cays? My wife and I took a boat trip out to a small cay many years ago (it had a radio tower or light on it), and the snorkeling was super. I remember the skipper saying the conditions had to be just right for this snorkel, and it was.. But i'm not sure what cay it was. It looks like Mingo and Lovango Cays have a nice reef off of the south-east corners of the islands..I/we can't get enough snorkeling while were on STJ.. Thanks Again
bert

Post by bert »

Sounds like you were at Lovango Cay (closest to Caneel)- it has a small tower. The snorkeling / diving at Mingo and Congo are also very good, and diving between those two is great with pristine reefs and large critters.

peace.... bert
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

We met some people at Gallows who just did this the other day, both between the cays and out at Carvelle Rock. I have been between the cays several times - it is really nice out there, but the calmer the day the better. They said they saw huge schools of Tarpon off Carvelle Rock and referred to it as "extreme snorkeling".
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
bill

mingo, louvango and congo cays

Post by bill »

we just snorkled this area in july. went with the Wayward SAilor. a Great trip. he is building his house on louvango. he is very knowledgable, as he is a marine biologist. you will love it.