Terrible attack in Cruz Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
scrumblin

attack in Cruz Bay

Post by scrumblin »

This is crazy! A thug is a thug, even on St. John. There's no shame in saying it. That same element has been hanging out across from Quiet Mon (Woody's, Tage, the police station (!)...you know...at the corner of the school yard) for years. You can buy weed or crack right there on the street. The police just need to walk 5 steps, frisk, done. I never understood why this wasn't taken care of. Especially on an island so dependent on tourism. Where are their parents? Surely the police know who they are. They live on that tiny island!

We have been traveling to STJ for 10 years, but we are ready to move on. St. John is very beautiful, no doubt, but it has also turned very expensive, less friendly and more racially heated and crime ridden.
I don't mean to be a negative influence, but it is simply not like it used to be.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Have to agree with Promoguy...stop the sugar coating. That was my first reaction...it's a bunch of crapola to believe everything is just hunky dory. It isn't and it isn't over on STT or on STX. Granted it wasn't a brillant move for the poor guy to walk back to the Westin that late at night, but he figured...well, the bartender advised him to do it...a cab might go by...he took the advise of a local. He certainly didn't deserve a shovel upside the head. Wrong place...wrong time...We were in Antigua last year and the cab driver warned us about the gangs forming there...crips I believe he mentioned. Says there is no future on the islands for the kids, just service work, no chance of making money...can't afford a home as rich people from around the world buying up every piece of land. Sound familar?

Also agree with Scrumblin (what a name) that it's not what it used to be on STJ...costs a WHOLE lot more these days and there is a lot more real or perceived resentment going around. Our friends who live down there feel the same way. When my husband read this latest he was about ready to put the brakes on our next trip. It's very sad. With all the break-ins and hostility going around the police have got to step it up to the next level. LIke maybe walking across the street and confronting the groups. Hard to do when it's your little brother or cousin or next door neighbor. Bring in some stateside cops...this is a US terriotory afterall.

All in all, we'll return (hopefully), be nicer than ever to the locals who do get treated like crap by lots of "tourists", eat in the resturants, shop at the grocery stores, hit the beaches and generally try to support the economy like we do every trip. Oh yeah, we hope to have a fairly uneventful fun trip without having to look over our shoulders the whole time.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
tencats

Post by tencats »

Right on and well said, Diane....I feel sad that even STJ is being corrupted by the problems of the rest of the world, :( but I do also hope that the VIPD will get a handle on the problems. Sugar coating and cover up do no one a service, not the locals, visitors, nor the tourist industry. Other areas have shown that the problems, if ignored, can and will escalate to the point that it all will explode, and then no amount of "damage control" will contain it..... Just look to the bad press still attached to Aruba. If the locals think that the KC press was obnoxious, wait till CNN (MSNBC, FOXNEWS, etc) gets ahold of tourists being beaten without provocation by gangs of thugs in an "American Paradise" on a slow news week. If it takes "foreign" police, then it takes "foreign" police. One thread I have seen in four years of following the VI is that they REALLY REALLY REALLY need to deal effectively with the corrupt law enforcement thing. Not all officers are involved, but it is wide spread enough for me to question the whole. I hope they deal soon. The situation is getting worse. :cry:
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I know I said that I was done but I do have one more thing to say.

I am not sugar coating this at all. Crime happens everywhere, even in my very small farm town in the NW hills of CT. This attack was brutal and the police department's actions are ridiculous, I am not arguing that. There are serious changes that need to come to law enforcement in the USVI, but that does not change the fact that I would not walk home from a bar alone in my town at 2 am nor would I while on vacation anywhere in the world.

I am not blaming this poor man, he was having a great time on a beautiful island and felt safe. That is not a crime. It is terrible that this happened to him, but it could have happened almost anywhere in the world.

I lived there for 5 years, I know how horrible the VIPD is from first hand experience. I do not condone their actions and personally think that those who fail to report incidents should be fired immediately and replaced with those who truly wish to uphold the law.
I have travelled quite a bit in my years and will continue to defend the island as being as safe as almost any other tourist destination in the world.

Ok, Now I am really done. :)

P.S. I am probably the last person that would sugar coat anything- Just ask Ruth :D
iowaguy

Letter to Editor from Victim

Post by iowaguy »

This letter to the editor from the victim was posted on the Tradewinds site:

Visitor Writes To Tourism Comm. Richards About St. John Attack
Contributed by Author as indicated
Monday, 21 August 2006
August 16, 2006
U. S. Virgin Islands Department of Tourism
Attention: Pamela Richards
Commissioner of Tourism
P. O. Box 6400
St. Thomas, U. S. Virgin Islands 00802

Dear Ms. Richards:

I have always held the Virgin Islands in the highest regard as my favorite place to travel, until my most recent visit. I arrived in St. John Saturday, August 5th, to attend my good friends’ wedding on Trunk Bay and enjoy nine days of scuba, snorkeling and the many activities the island has to offer.

Four days later, I could not wait to get back home to Chicago.

On the night of Wednesday, August 9th, I was violently assaulted by apparent local teens wielding a long handle, round point shovel. Although I forfeited my expensive watch and volunteered my wallet they abandoned these items in the pursuit of violence. The first couple blows I was able to deflect yielding bruised arms and a fractured hand until one struck me decisively on the crown of my head. This head shot knocked me to my knees providing my would-be killers the opportunity for additional blows of which they took full advantage. After repeated blows to my skull, my will to survive, pure adrenaline and perhaps God wanting my life to continue, I was able to outrun my attackers to the refuge of the police station in Cruz Bay. Fortunately, this attack occurred within such close proximity.

This traumatic attack not only resulted in multiple head lacerations requiring 14 stitches, many bruises and abrasions, but also a vigilant campaign for justice. The first phase of my campaign is the introduction of the situation to the political and governmental figures that may assist in swift and decisive prosecution of this killer-in-the-making. If necessary, my subsequent endeavors will be to utilize all available resources, including family, friends, and media, to notify the public of my disturbing experience and warn other unassuming tourists.

I will look forward to hearing from you with a plan of action to conclude this unfortunate event.

Sincerely,
(Name withheld by request)

Cc: Administrator Harley
Police Chief Hill
Governor Charles Wesley Turnbull
U.S. Virgin Islands Dept. of Tourism

If anyone has information regarding this attack, or any other similar attacks at this location, please contact Don at stjohnattack@yahoo.com.

---Jim