Terrible attack in Cruz Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
Tracy in WI

Terrible attack in Cruz Bay

Post by Tracy in WI »

I am sorry to post this, but we should all be aware - I feel terrible for this man.

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... 7fe7b60a40
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

This sounds rather odd to me. It sounds like there's a piece of the story missing. :roll:
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I do feel terrible for this man. It is something that happens though, not just on St. John but everywhere. While living on STJ a good friend, business owner, and island resident was attacked with a metal pipe walking home one evening in Cruz Bay. They did not rob him, they were teenagers getting their kicks out of beating people up.
I don’t question the story at all. This is a problem all over the country, and it is a sad testimony to how our children are being raised.

Let’s not blow this article out of proportion and spark a huge debate on the safety of the island. The island is as safe as my hometown; I would not walk home alone from a bar at 1:30 in the morning here, nor would I on vacation. I am not blaming this man, he felt safe enough and made a choice, it is unfortunate that some “thugs”( for lack of a better word) had nothing better to do than violate a person as they did.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I do have to say one thing and that is that it would be a good idea to have some taxis running as late as the bars stay open so that people can get home safely.

One other question, if he was there for a wedding, why didn't he call someone else that was on-island to pick him up?

When we were there with my family in 2004, my younger brother had the same problem with not being able to get a cab. He was wise enough to call us at the villa, and someone picked him up.

Just a suggestion, but do like we do and carry the villa phone numbers of the group when you go out at night.

nothintolose
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I totally agree with you xislandgirl. I wanted to post a link so that while we are on vacation we know that things can happen on STJ just as they can anywhere - not to let our guard down and just be on island time, limin' or whatever.

I do however have concerns with the police force and their ability to follow through and solve things taking place on island. In each Tradewinds edition I receive, they list crimes being investigated and crimes solved. There are rarely any solved. I always question this each time I read that section of the newspaper.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

What a terrible thing to happen to this poor man. I wonder why don't the taxis run until the bars close? That seems odd--you would think they'd want to offer taxi rides to people who have been drinking. At the very least, the Westin and Caneel should think about having one of their taxis do a last call sweep of Cruz Bay at closing time.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Actually things like this do not happen everywhere and for the good of STJ, it might be a good idea to dispel this notion.

I live in Los Angeles in what I like to call barrio Van Nuys. It doesn't even happen here.

This was a person who was on vacation on what is described as a very quiet, layed back island. I just came back from Napa, CA. It doesn't happen there either.

And that idiot at the Quiet Mon can also be held a bit responsible for not at least trying to call a cab.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I find it interesting that under the picture it says the attack occurred on Saturday, Aug. 5th; while in the body of the article it says it was on Thursday, Aug. 10th. Hmmm. Just a typo I suppose, as it also says he arrived on the island on Aug. 5th. Am I too nit-picky? Sorry.
suzy

Post by suzy »

I was on the island from 8/5-8/12!
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

"There was no report of the incident on the public police record at the V.I. Police Department Leander Jurgen Command in Cruz Bay."

"........and the fact that the police are charging it as a third-degree assault is not acceptable to me,”
-----------------
I don't understand the lackadaisical attitude of the VIPD.....

Think I'll have the tire iron from the rental vehicle within easy grasp (i.e. on the floor in front of the passenger seat) on this next visit to STJ.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

promoguy wrote:Actually things like this do not happen everywhere and for the good of STJ, it might be a good idea to dispel this notion.

I live in Los Angeles in what I like to call barrio Van Nuys. It doesn't even happen here.

This was a person who was on vacation on what is described as a very quiet, layed back island. I just came back from Napa, CA. It doesn't happen there either.

And that idiot at the Quiet Mon can also be held a bit responsible for not at least trying to call a cab.
But they do happen everywhere. They certainly don't make National news, but people are beaten up, stabbed, etc every day all over the world. I did a quick search on LA news and found a storyline from Sunday that said "2 men stabbed, 1 crtically at downtown nightclub" another search in my local area( Hartford, CT suburbs) said "Man wounded in stabbing" and another "shots fired, car stolen". Crime happens everywhere, if you can find me a place with no crime, I want to move there.

It would be wonderful to think that St John and the islands of the Caribbean are free of crime, but people are people no matter where you go.

I am stepping out of this post for now, I had hoped it would not become a debate on the safety of St John, but it looks like it is heading in that direction, so I will agree to have differing opinions from others and leave it at that.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

I totally agree about the fact that the bartender should have a better answer when someone drinking in their establishment needs and does not have a ride. He should have some taxi or person standing by to help out stragglers. After all, his business does depend on customers, so he should see to it they are taken care of.
It is unfortunate that this incident did happen. Police over there need to be more diligent about that corner, as those kids have been hanging there for years late nihts possibly waiting for prey.
I too believe there could be more to the story. A person drinking until closing time, truly may not have a handle on any remark he may make while passing a group of kids. Who knows?
RL 8)
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

I'm not sure what all this concern is about there being more to the story.

From the picture in the Tradewinds, he looked pretty battered.

This guy was a victim of a crime and let's not forget that. I'm sure he has no reason to have another story other than hearing footsteps behind him as the letter to the editor says.

I get tired of the cliches attributed to victims of criminal acts by evil youngsters. And get more irritated when I constantly hear the police reaction to crime.

Bob Sells subjects himself to possible five years of time for "touching a butt". And then this is called a third degree assault.

All of this won't stop me from vacationing on STJ, but I will tell you that if it keeps up it will have a chilling affect on others, which ultimately affect all those that make a living on the island.

Let's stop the sugar coating.

PS. And what I find really annoying is reading yesterdays VI News and hearing how many so called peace officers are involved in crimes. I think I read three different ones yesterday.

/rant off
Coden

Post by Coden »

Man, that guy got whipped bad. And how unfortuante for it to have happened. Too bad the bar tender &/or the vacationer didn't think about calling someone to come pick the man up. Maybe could have kept this from happening, maybe not. I wish him well though and I hope he is better soon, physically. Emotionally, I'm sure is going to take a while.
Coden
Adrienne

I agree with you tjwgrr

Post by Adrienne »

Being that St. John is a very big tourist destination, you would think that the police would be a little more concerned. It's a shame. I was in Tortola this past June and I had been talking to a local police officer who told me he was from the east coast here in the states. Apparently, the BVI have had to hire the individuals for their police force from outside of the islands because they were finding too much covering up because most of the officers knew whowever it was that committed the crime and they were just turning their heads the other way...that's pretty sad, but it kinda makes me wonder.