where is everybody

Travel discussion for St. John
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

I'm still here..........and I've noticed a lack of posts and interest as well. :cry:

Everyone has some good points and I feel the same way. I think we're all going through "changes" with this new format. This new forum is not as easy to work through and certainly a lot more closed up, so to speak. It's hard to follow or jump in with a comment, but I know a change had to be made. I do not participate on any other forums so it's hard for me to compare (except to our old forum).

To me this forum almost seems like emailing direct instead of posting. There's nowhere to note whether your post is a question or comment. It's easy to add a new Subject Line, but it's hidden in the post. The topics just don't flow like the other forum.

I'm really not complaining, but I feel like I've lost something here. Hopefully some changes can be made and everyone can come back around!

Just my 2cents.

Jan (aka Charlie)
CariBert

Changed it's format???

Post by CariBert »

Maryanne wrote:Pete put it perfectly.

There's something cumbersome about the process now. The same thing happened when the AOL travel boards changed their format.
WHAT???? This forum has changed it's format!!??? What kind of music are you playing now, Anthony? I like C&W, but I guess whatever format you decide is gonna be O.K.

Kind of like Las Angeles, huh? No more Country FM stations there......
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

California Girl

Post by California Girl »

My two cents from L.A. (well, 80 miles south of L.A. actually). First we lose our football team, now we just lost our only country music station. I just don't get it. Oh well, guess I'll have another Latte, get in my B-mer and talk on the phone while I drive to Rodeo Drive to go shopping with Paris Hilton... it's something to do [gag!]. :roll:

But back to reality! As much as I like this new forum format, I have to agree that all the spirited banter just isn't happening any more. I thought we were all just going through a learning curve, but even though there have been several posts about what restaurants will be open and when, and a few about "does anyone know about this or that villa," there really haven't been any trip reports other than the one nothintolose posted. I KNOW a lot of people are travelling, and a lot of people are posting "wheels down" numbers, so where are the reports?
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:I mean this as no offense to Anthony's hard work, but I personally think the new forum makes it harder to jump into a topic. In the old forum, you could view the entire thread and add your two cents in the middle of a thread. Or, if you saw a post by someone like, oh, say, Bandit, you could just reply to that for the sport of it. Now, you have to be interested enough in the original topic to open it and go through all of the posts.

I think it is having a bit of a chilling effect. That said, I don't know what else Anthony could have done. Perhaps the old thread formatt could be combined with a log-on feature. I dunno.
Agree
Bob & Anita
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am in total agreement. It makes me a little sad that this forum used to be so active and now there may only be a handful of posts a day.

Anthony, I would be happy to mail you a check for the "bring back the old forum with log on required" Fund. :wink:
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

From California Girl............................ "Oh well, guess I'll have another Latte, get in my B-mer and talk on the phone while I drive to Rodeo Drive to go shopping with Paris Hilton... it's something to do"

It's kind of like being on STJ!

You can have another Painkiller, RIDE (no driving if your're drinking :wink: ) around in your Jeep-er, while looking at the map while driving through Cruz Bay to go shopping with JORGE! I like the way he shops (diamonds ARE a girls best friend).

Anyway, my attempt for a little humor here. Oh, Cal Girl I'm sorry about your football team...... maybe one day they'll come back! Ya never know

Jan (aka Charlie)
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

1. Maybe it's slow because it's August.

2. Maybe since you actually have to register and put a screen name to a comment.

3. And who needs country when you've got...yo, yo, wassup ma man

3. AND WE DON'T NEED A PROFESSIONAL TEAM.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

40 more days for me. and I think I told Jorge I would post a live report :shock:
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

It's not just this site that's been quiet lately. I also post at Trip Advisor and it's been really dead the past 2 weeks. I think it's mostly just due to this time of year.
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

I thought maybe the Hayley Comet came by and whisked away all posters.... :twisted:
I agree about this forum being a little cumbersome to navigate, but hang in there.... :lol:
Jan N.

Post by Jan N. »

Anthony wrote:This is always the slowest time of the year - end of summer, vacations, back to school, etc. I was actually thinking this place was very hopping. We are closing in on 400 registered users in a couple of weeks, so it isn't the lack of people. And the lurkers who just read (met several on St. John last week - you know who you are!) never post anyway :)
That's good to know, Anthony. It probably is the time of year. Thanks for posting.
Jan N.
StJohnRuth

That time of year

Post by StJohnRuth »

I can confirm it's starting to get veeerrry slooow. Great time for last-minute deals!
-Ruth
JT

Post by JT »

Personally I've found the new format to be quite a bit less user friendly and also cumberson to view the threads. Just my HO.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Re: the new forum.

I have to disgaree with the non-user friendly-ness.

I like the fact that I don't have to click on every single post. Being able to open up a thread and read all of the posts is much easier!

There are a few tricks to getting to the latest post:

1) If you see a thread you like but only want the latest posts, click on the paper icon next to the person name with the most recent post. That will bring you right to the end of the thread.

2) Once you click on a thread, go all the way to the bottom and there is an option to see the thread by most recent post vs oldest post.