To StJohn Ruth

Travel discussion for St. John
NoWorriesMom

To StJohn Ruth

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Hello! As someone who works (lives?) on St. John would you please weigh in on the tourist attack? I'd really value your input. Crime happens, I get that, but the thing that is worrying me (time to change my name here!) is the post that said that gang of kids has been hanging out there for a long time!
Thanks!
StJohnRuth

Re: To StJohn Ruth

Post by StJohnRuth »

NoWorriesMom wrote:Hello! As someone who works (lives?) on St. John would you please weigh in on the tourist attack? I'd really value your input. Crime happens, I get that, but the thing that is worrying me (time to change my name here!) is the post that said that gang of kids has been hanging out there for a long time!
Thanks!
Unfortunately I can't offer much insight. I am horrified and somewhat ashamed that these are the kinds of children we are raising.
RonUSVI said that this gang of kids has been hanging out there for a while. It these kids are really 15, I doubt that these are the same kids that have been involved in past incidents. I also tend not to think it's the result on an organized "gang". More likely, they hang out in this spot because there are places where they can hide and watch and not be seen, and though I'm not sure, it may not be well-lit enough.
I can count on one hand the number of times I have been out past 10pm in the last three years. I can't even remember the last time I was out past midnight. Therefore I cannot offer much personal observation about what goes on in town in the wee hours.
I can say that it disappoints me that our Taxi Association does not offer late-night service to people, whether they are people who have no transportation or people who deem it unwise to drive. I hadn't given it much thought until today, but in this day and age, it is pretty unbelievable.
I join with the rest of you in offering my sincere regret to this man that this happened. I hope that the VI Police are able to catch this child so that it doesn't happen again.
-Ruth
bert

Post by bert »

It's probably not the same kids. But kids - in the general sense (they are some old kids!)- have been hanging out on the bleachers facing the ballfield on that corner for a long time. Some of the homeless people also sleep there. It's just up the street from the police station and right next to the 24x7 fire station. You would think that the police would patrol in and around the bleachers, but they do not. Whatever motivated these creeps should not be the basis for debate. They're not sick, they're criminals. The police can probably find the same people at the same spot tonight (or any night), should they ever decide to get out of their seats and look for them.

I would not walk that area, alone, unarmed, at 1:00 in the morning.

peace.... bert
Tuxedocat

Post by Tuxedocat »

Dear Ruth: Yes, attacks can happen anywhere, but when a tourist is beaten senseless for no reason, that should be the police department's 24 hour obsession until justice is had. Unfortunately, our police force seems to act in confusing and nonsensical ways. I am truly concerned that island security is slipping quickly downhill. We own a home in Coral Bay, and I have become really disgusted with the police force. We sat on our porch one night and watched the police cruiser drive around with its lights flashing, just as it does every night, all night. Since you can see that they're clearly at one end of the bay or the other, the criminally minded know exactly where the police are at any given time. No wonder they know just when to hit Skinnys. Being an island resident,you'd probably agree that it's a pretty small community either in Cruz Bay or Coral Bay. Also, we all have a pretty good idea who those kids are. If the adults do not take responsibility and do something immediately, how can we expect the young people to know right from wrong? Where's our community activists when we really need them? Too busy protecting their own kids' butts? We don't live there full-time. I was wondering what is your take on the whole police initiative?
Tuxedocat

Post by Tuxedocat »

Dear Ruth: Yes, attacks can happen anywhere, but when a tourist is beaten senseless for no reason, that should be the police department's 24 hour obsession until justice is had. Unfortunately, our police force seems to act in confusing and nonsensical ways. I am truly concerned that island security is slipping quickly downhill. We own a home in Coral Bay, and I have become really disgusted with the police force. We sat on our porch one night and watched the police cruiser drive around with its lights flashing, just as it does every night, all night. Since you can see that they're clearly at one end of the bay or the other, the criminally minded know exactly where the police are at any given time. No wonder they know just when to hit Skinnys. Being an island resident,you'd probably agree that it's a pretty small community either in Cruz Bay or Coral Bay. Also, we all have a pretty good idea who those kids are. If the adults do not take responsibility and do something immediately, how can we expect the young people to know right from wrong? Where's our community activists when we really need them? Too busy protecting their own kids' butts? We don't live there full-time. I was wondering what is your take on the whole police initiative?
CariBert

Corruption Rears It's Ugly Head

Post by CariBert »

Unfornuately, the police department is soley at fault. Having been in Law Enforcment for a number of years, I can tell you that the criminal element is well known in a small community. They are the first to be called in for questioning. There is no way in the world the St. John PD does not know exactly who is responsible for these crimes.

I guess it's going to take the envolvement of the legislature, or higher courts to get St. John and the rest of the USVI's to straighten up. Fire every last one of the corrupt and bring in a new element from the Main land. They are a U.S. Territory, are they not? You would expect to feel unsafe in a third world country but certainly not a territory of the U.S.!!

Sheesh! It Is DISGUSTING!
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Tuxedocat

Post by Tuxedocat »

Caribert: Total agreement. The additional problem with a small community is that the police officers are a part of it. They seem reluctant to arrest their own kids or their kids' friends... so everyone continues to suffer, and the police continue to make excuses. Really horrific. I think it's high time that the federal government takes the bull by the horns. It's a U.S. territory and the responsibility of the U.S. government. Corruption is admittedly huge in the islands. It's time Washington ceases its apologetic posture and clean house. If the territories expect to receive benefits and funding, they must also abide by federal law. Last time I checked, violent crimes and hate crimes still fall under FBI perview.
NoWorriesMom

Post by NoWorriesMom »

To StJohnRuth, thank you. I appreciated your reply and what you had to say!
silverheels

Assault on St. John

Post by silverheels »

You might want to go to the website for Tradewinds.www.stjohntradewindsnews.com. It has all the news regarding the assault. Where are the parents of these young boys. No child at the age of 15 should be out at one thirty in the am. The police force is too busy riding around and ticketing people who aren't wearing seat belts while waiting for arrivals at the dock. There is no reason why some of the assaults, robberies etc. are not even listed on the police blotter. This man was savagely beaten. Why didn't the people in Quiet Mon offer to find him a ride rather than suggest that he start walking and someone would probably pick him up? The problems would be less if there were more parental and police involvement with these hapless and sometimes hopeless teenagers. :( I do know that there is a leadership group that is trying to work on the violence situation. Maybe this will help down the road. I know that St. John bars need the tourist trade. But if I were a tourist I would not opt to be out at that hour of the night. Ruth and I came back from STT after the online gathering after 11 and we made sure that each one of us was safe. Plus Ron said that he saw us getting off the ferry on the webcam! If we had not been together I would not have been out that late alone
silverheels

To St. JohnRuth

Post by silverheels »

By the way I did want to mention that it would be to the benefit of the readers here if when thay got off the ferry in STJ that they look for St. John Spice at the land side of the dock. It's a wonderful store and the owners are a delight. They will help you with so many things about STJ. They even have restaurant menus. :P
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

One would think that if this "gang" has been hanging out in the same spot beating up poor drunk tourists for a long time, that the bartender at the Quiet Mon would know that, and not suggest ANYONE walk home or back to their hotel at that hour. I wouldn't put so much blame on him if this was a random, first time attack, but apparently it's happened often enough that "everyone" is aware of the problem. The fault is definitely on the thugs, but should also rest on a bartender who should have known better.
snorkelgirl

Post by snorkelgirl »

I know I've seen taxi's with Westin written on them driving around STJ. Wasn't this man staying there? I was wondering why the bartender didn't call the Westin to see if they could send transportation for him. Or maybe try and get intouch with the people he was there with. I think he was there for a wedding.
I guess hindsite is 20/20 and all that.