Villa Happy Hour

Travel discussion for St. John
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Like some of the other posters we generally keep it simple at the villa. We buy the premixed Strawberry Daiquiri and Pina Colada mixes, and then just add the rum in the blender with ice and add a slice of fresh pineapple or lime – these drinks can be whipped up really quick. If we have more time at the villa then we’ll make Pain Killers (Bob’s Pain Killer recipe: 4 parts pineapple juice, 1 part OJ, 1 part coconut cream (i.e. coco-lopez), blend with ice in a blender and top with nutmeg and a pineapple slice).

We also buy cans of Coke, Ginger Beer and Ginger Ale to take to the beach with us along with pre-cut limes and those little bottles of rum (a.k.a "Beach Soilders") to make Rum & Cokes or Dark and Stormy on the beach.
Bob & Anita
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

do you favor the virgin pain killers? I don't see any booze in that recipe! :shock:
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

mary beth wrote:do you favor the virgin pain killers? I don't see any booze in that recipe! :shock:
Oops, please add to the recipe "any where from 2 to 4 parts rum depending on the strength necessary for the given situation."
Bob & Anita
RicknGrace_LI_NY

Villa Happy Hour

Post by RicknGrace_LI_NY »

The easiest way to make tropical type drinks is Bacardi Frozen Mixers. They have all kinds of flavors and they are basically idiot proof. :D
Rick and Grace Long Island New York
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Bob & Anita: I think I said this before, when you posted your trip report, but I'll say it again...

I just love that picture of Bob with his "Beach Soldiers"! I laugh out loud every time I see it!
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

California Girl wrote:Bob & Anita: I think I said this before, when you posted your trip report, but I'll say it again...

I just love that picture of Bob with his "Beach Soldiers"! I laugh out loud every time I see it!
If Bob couldn't command his beach soldiers then who else would he to command? - Certainly not Anita. Bob take his responsibilities quite seriously, he is often paying tribute to his fallen troops and calling up reinforcements throughout the day.
Bob & Anita
jmq

Post by jmq »

For those who like a good rum punch but dont like the ones that taste too sweet, I've posted this one before and it remains a fav at home now that I've found Ting and Cruzan citrus flavored rum here in NJ:

Pour over ice:
*1/3 Ting (slightly sweet Jamacian grapefruit soft drink)
*1/3 Cruzan citrus flavored rum
*1/3 cranberry juice (light version if you can find it to save a few calories)
*add/squeeze in lime slices
Optional: splash of Cruzan dark rum and fresh ground nutmeg on top

I've substituted Newmans or Snapple pink lemonade when Ting was not available and even thrown in a splash of triple sec.

Also real good is chop up a handful of fresh strawberries with a few oz of lemonade in a blender, pour off the strawberry/lemonade glop into a couple of tall glasses with ice, pour in Cruzan citrus rum and more lemonade, top off with slices of lemons or limes. If you do this all at one time in the blender, it gets too foamy.
JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

:?: ...jmq...I am in Jersey too...where do you find the Ting? I've read posts about it before and it sounds like something I'd like.
jmq

Post by jmq »

There is a Caribbean restaurant with a small mart next door that sells it on Franklin Blvd between Rt 27 and Hamilton St on the border between New Brunswick and Franklin Twp. Gotta go to the restaurant sometime and try the roti.
Before I found it there, I think a google search turned up that it was regionally distributed by Pepsi out of Brooklyn and I was gonna call there to see who had it in the greater Brunswick area where I live. Depending where you live in NJ, you may also try or call similar marts or "bodegas" in urban areas near you i.e. places like Freehold, Morristown, Denville, Red Bank and the like.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Thanks jmq. I am at the shore, close to Ocean City and AC...will have to keep my eyes open for such a location closer to me. I googled Ting and did find some online sources, but sure would like to try it before I bought any quantity. I will definitely begin looking on my ventures about to find it to give it a taste. It really sounds like an interesting flavor that I would like! I do go up to Philadelphia frequently, so maybe thats a good start. Thanks for the start on my search!
Steve S

Island Drinks

Post by Steve S »

flip-flop wrote:....

Tang (powdered stuff usually brought to keep hydrated) and orange rum = yummmm
Tang and rum Flip Flop? I think I want to party with you! Now do you pour the powder into a glass first or do you dump it right into the bottle?
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Steve S - we'll try anything once! And if you were in any way SERIOUS we mix up the tang first ... then add a healthy portion of orange rum. Though I don't see why you just couldn't use the rum as your liquid supply ;)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Tang & Rum. Isn't that what the astronauts drink in their space station villa?
JudyK

Yummy Martini

Post by JudyK »

1 shot coconut Cruzan rum, 1 shot pineapple cruzan rum with some pineapple juice - mix with ice - awesome if you like fruity!
mia

Post by mia »

I am the one who started this post by asking for favorite drink recipes....as usual your response to a need for help was overwhelming. The folks on this forum are the absolute best and I wish to thank each and every one of you. I have copied most of recipes and they will be in my suitcase when our wheels go up at 6:00 AM this Friday :!: