Infrastructure on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've always wondered how many active water wells there are on island? I imagine the water table in the Coral Bay valley would be accessible.

We'd love to see pay for use utilities in villas.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
hugo

Post by hugo »

Our well water is heavily mineralized and at least slightly brackish in lowland areas, including Coral Bay. During prolonged droughts, the water gets much saltier, as seawater is pulled in by the lowering of the water table.
There is kinda OK water on the central plateau at Adrian, and wells there were used heavily before we got the R/O plant. Their yield would decline quickly in droughts.
We have not had a serious drought since 1994-95, so we're way overdue right now.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

RickG wrote:We'd love to see pay for use utilities in villas.
This is a great idea. I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but it would sure make people more aware of their use and hopefully help out the villa owners too. (In fact I'd like to install a meter on my kids' showers! One to show her that her showers are too long... the other to show him that it's been a few days and maybe time to reintroduce soap into his life. :roll: )

One idea I liked at Starlit Escape: they had a rain barrel for dunking snorkel gear, shoes etc. to get the sand off. No need to run the hose to do that. Small features like that help remind me to be careful of my water consumption. (They also have a gray water system for the landscaping which is another good thing.)
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Back in the 70's I lived in a traditional West Indian house on a dry part of the island - the driveway was sloped and had a high curb and emptied into its own cistern - that cistern supplied the water for the toilet and the garden - an excellent design and very simple and efficient.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Pay for use utilities makes sense to me, though I don't know how that would work as far as changing the existing rental rates?

One idea I remember seeing--maybe on the On St. John blog--was a timer on the AC system. I thought that was an excellent idea. The timer would have to be able to be set long enough for an evening's sleep, but it would prevent the AC from being left on all day while people are at the beach. Timers on showers could be another idea that would help folks remember to conserve water.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

RickG wrote: We'd love to see pay for use utilities in villas.

Cheers, RickG
Wouldn't that be interesting!

Have a utility deposit, so to speak. Whatever is left after deducting your usage, gets returned to the renter.

Someone needs to design a meter that shows usage and cost so the renters can see their dollars and cents at a glance.

Estimate on how much utility bills would decrease? At least 30% is my guess.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Exit Zero wrote:Back in the 70's I lived in a traditional West Indian house on a dry part of the island - the driveway was sloped and had a high curb and emptied into its own cistern - that cistern supplied the water for the toilet and the garden - an excellent design and very simple and efficient.
We stayed at a house on another island where the owners captured the runoff as well as reused all grey water for their garden. Neat system and it allowed them to have fantastic gardens.
sherban

Post by sherban »

Great idea to educate on being more conscious/conservative on usage (curbing demand).

Also may want to keep in mind that new technologies may be available to help solve problems such as water supply and power availability. There have been many advances in desalination technology and also wind turbines have come along way in the past 5-10 years...last time I checked there was constant wind on STJ...there are trade-offs to consider.

Aruba has been very succesful in achieving desalination at desired volume and they are also applying wind turbines now. Something to think about. We manufacture wind turbine systems where I work, they have been selling very well the past few years...
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I remember when the Bongo Boys ran a post on the AC timer thing on the "On STJ" blog...people went nuts. The reaction was overwhelmingly negative. The consensus seemed to be, "don't tell me when I can or cannot run the AC because I'm on vacation."

As I mentioned on another post, I can't say I disagree. I appreciate that this view is not popular. (More to the point, I appreciate that many don't want to say the same thing on this forum for fear they will be labeled as "horrid un-green tourists.")

I've always assumed that the utility costs to the villa owners were built into the rental price. I own a small business and we bill by the hour for our services. Our hourly rate factors in the costs of copying and postage, etc. That's called the cost of doing business. It is no different when renting a villa. It should be assumed by the villa owners that some people will run the AC all day, while others will barely use it. It should even out...but it most surely is a part of the rental price.

Let's say you check into a chain hotel by the airport the night before your flight to STJ. They have that little sign in the bathroom asking you to reuse your towel as part of an effort to save resources. Do you? I don't. Part of the fun of staying in a hotel is being able to grab a new towel when you want. Selfish? I dunno.

As I said on the other post, to some ridicule, "I'm on freakin' vacation." If I want to worry about the utility costs, I might as well be at home.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to say something about the wind turbines. It is a great idea, and something that is becoming more and more prevalent where I live. The negatives, however, are that they require land (which is way too expensive on STJ) and that they are really ugly. When you are looking up at Bordeaux mountain, the last thing you want to see is a huge turbine (or ten) looming over the trees.

A turbine "farm" on Ram's head facing East could garner consistent energy, but it would be horrid to look at.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Alternative energy is finally goin to happen, it's about time. Many peeps are upset with the thought of having a windmill around their property here where we live. We have some of the best winds in Ohio. Now I can understand the athstetic concerns of these things but once there up people will accept them. Cell towers come to mind on this. The cell tower in Negril was designed to look like a palm tree, biggest palm I've ever seen. I'm sure when powerlines started to go up way back when many had fits about that. Another great thing about alternative energy is it will create alot of jobs. The company I work for is huge in this field. We could use a few more jobs in the ole USA right now.

Alot of these farms are going to go out in the ocean. Ya could put one up somewere around St John then they would have their own power. In a few years the coral would start to colonize and fish would come in droves. Man that would be an awesome snorkel, not a bad trade off IMHO.
Cid

Post by Cid »

I was reading this article a while back about wind turbines installed at Adobe software's HQ. They seem to be very efficient and in my eye, a bit more appealing to those concerned about aesthetics. I personally don't mind looking at the more traditional propeller designs. I think they are beautiful in their own right. If it makes my life cleaner, greener and cheaper. I'm all for it....

[/url]http://www.inhabitat.com/2010/01/11/ado ... bines/[url]

The ocean based wind farms do seem to make sense in that they would appease most of the people who don't want to look at them. Of course there will be those who say we shouldn't litter the ocean with all this crap. Last time I checked the ocean covers three quarters of the earth. Maybe more, if you believe Al Gore. It makes sense to use that space to reduce our polluting ways.[/url]
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]