Infrastructure on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

I'm going back to the power consumption issue. When we visited Italy last fall, each one of our hotels (smaller inns) had a power conservation system. Basically, when you entered your room a small light would come on for two minutes. In that two minute time span, you had to stick a card into a slot in the wall. That card activated the power for that room. The card was attached to your key and you couldn't leave all the lights, TV or A/C on when you left. It was brilliant. I would love to see hotels/inns worldwide implement this technology.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Hugo, thanks for all the knowledge you imparted on me. Most of that I had never given a 2nd thought to. I will in the future.

Someone mentioned recycling. It's never been my experience when travelling in the US that recycling is deemed important. I can name a few airports and cities where I have looked in vein to dispose of a plastic water bottle only to discover there is no such thing as a can/plastic recyling receptacle.
~Brenda~
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Some things that struck me when I was on island as being "less than earth friendly":

Cleaning products. At one villa I saw a plethora of products containing bleach, HCL and other nasty *stuff*. I am not sure if it was used by the cleaning company or not but they are chemicals I do not use in our area as our entire community is on septic and wells and we are in close proximity to the ocean. I've also seen similar stuff used in restaurants etc. on island.

Cigarette Butts: What the hell is wrong with people? Cigarette butts in the sand on beaches- go to Cruz Bay Wharside and look over the wall- cigarette butts. It's disgusting and it's littering. People don't get it. I watched numerous people on Trunk smoking away and just dropping their butts in their white sand ashtray. I seriously wanted to dump my box from the snack bar on one woman's lap to demonstrate how gross her behavior was.

Trash: Sitting at one remote restaurant, there was lots of trash compacted into the gravel. Trash spills out over dumpsters and onto the street. Trash along the sides of roads in some places.

I'd be happy to see pay as you go utilities. I'm not so sure those who travel during the oppressive months would be thrilled though. When you think about the need for AC and a pool at those times, the cheap villa during off season would be a thing of the past.
sherban

Post by sherban »

alw1977 wrote:I'm going back to the power consumption issue. When we visited Italy last fall, each one of our hotels (smaller inns) had a power conservation system. Basically, when you entered your room a small light would come on for two minutes. In that two minute time span, you had to stick a card into a slot in the wall. That card activated the power for that room. The card was attached to your key and you couldn't leave all the lights, TV or A/C on when you left. It was brilliant. I would love to see hotels/inns worldwide implement this technology.
Same system was used in my hotel in Bangalore India.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Greenskeeper, people are being charged for that consumption anyway--you can bet that villa owners base those off-season rates with a good WAPA cushion. Wouldn't be nice to get a deeper discount if you used less than the average guest?
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Hugo-
I'm not sure how you figure that cushion. For example, I rented a villa last year that went for $4900 per week during the winter but only $3300 from April until Thanksgiving. I understand the supply and demand of the pricing. Perhaps most villa owners make their profits during the high season and figure rentals during low season are a bonus.

Quick question- any idea what caused the power outage last week? I think it was Sunday (lost track of days). It was a minor inconvenience but I have to admit, it was beautiful to look up the mountain and see flickering lights and above it, a sky full of stars.
sherban

Post by sherban »

http://www.viwapa.vi/news-alpine-contract.asp

Deleted text...goto WAPA to read their news...
Last edited by sherban on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Sherban - I am not sure you want to open the Alpine Energy discussion - this is a very controversial issue in the VI at present .
sherban

Post by sherban »

Exit Zero wrote:Sherban - I am not sure you want to open the Alpine Energy discussion - this is a very controversial issue in the VI at present .
EZ- As a resident of SC I don't feel it is really my business, I was just sharing what I thought was a relevant item I found on the WAPA website. I take no pleasure in controversy.
Cid

Post by Cid »

Exit Zero wrote:Sherban - I am not sure you want to open the Alpine Energy discussion - this is a very controversial issue in the VI at present .
Ok, I'll bite EZ. I think that the pros and cons of balancing conservation and growth are problems we all face in our communities whether it's wind, nuclear, solar or trash burning plants. I'm curious what the different sides of the story are in the USVI. It's unique in many ways that are geographical on the island, but it's a smaller scale picture of what we face across our country.
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Ok, I'll bite EZ. I think that the pros and cons of balancing conservation and growth are problems we all face in our communities whether it's wind, nuclear, solar or trash burning plants. I'm curious what the different sides of the story are in the USVI. [/quote]
I will stay with the original thread , Thanks.
sherban

Re: Infrastructure on STJ

Post by sherban »

Exit Zero wrote: How many people have any idea what the answers are to any of these questions? I read so many posts here suggesting solutions and improvements to STJ - so I really wonder if many people actually understand the infrastructure.
To answer your original question- I had previously researched the VIs power generation infrastructure and knew it to be CC turbines on STT with cables running to STJ, I read some reports on the WAPA site a long while back. I've been curious what the next steps would be because of the unique challenges of being on an island. I didn't have a very good understanding of the water infrastructure though...besides understanding I was dependent upon a cistern.
Cid

Post by Cid »

Exit Zero wrote:Ok, I'll bite EZ. I think that the pros and cons of balancing conservation and growth are problems we all face in our communities whether it's wind, nuclear, solar or trash burning plants. I'm curious what the different sides of the story are in the USVI.
I will stay with the original thread , Thanks.[/quote]

I guess you're right , perhaps that's a different thread altogether, but it's certainly related. We've talking about utility sources and costs on the island and how it affects locals and tourists. EZ you were the one to be so quick to point out the controversy. What are you afraid the forum police will shut you down? Hehheheheee...I think you're doing this topic a disservice by not sharing your local opinion. The opinion of some ass, like me, from Vermont doesn't really carry as much weight as a true local opinion. I think I can speak for many here when I say we love the island and the people who live there. When you share your opinions we get to better understand island life and how we as interlopers can be least intrusive and respectful to your island. At the same time I can respect the fact that you might not want to be vocal about something that is controversial with your neighbors.
[/url]
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

There is way too much in the Alpine Energy & WAPA ---- PROPOSED deal that I do not have enough information about to voice a really cogent and defensible opinion - I will continue to read and listen - the March 6th - 12 meetings may clarify some of the concerns island wide.
- one thing I am positive of though is that no one on the energy side has SAID where the massive amounts of ash waste will be stored - temporary or permanent, and how it will be protected enough that a storm won't contaminate the islands roofs and cisterns with blowing ash.
Since it is still unresolved I didn't think it was as relevant to the original infrastucture thread and the 2 plants being planned are not on STJ.
Cid

Post by Cid »

Thanks EZ, that was all I was really curious about. The WAPA article that was referenced didn't mention it, of course without the waste component it seems completely sensible. I think the waste issue is very valid.
[/url]