Infrastructure on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
irbgolfin

Post by irbgolfin »

General comment, but I recall looking at rental offerings on the web in another location (Turks and Caicos or somewhere in Bahamas - never went there). The rentals had a base allowance for power consumption included, and if you went over you paid $x.xx/KW hour. My first reaction was they s hould include the power and not nickle and dime, but then I thought this is good, since a rental rate like STJ probably assumes worst case, many would do inefficient things, leave a door open, turn the temp lower than necessary, etc. It would encourage conservation, and if you are more reasonable you wouldn't pay extra. Whether the base allowance was reasonable I have no idea.

Oh - and totally OT with respect to the timers... I have volunteered for almost 20 years running the room for our local Mathcounts competition (junior high math competition, I'm a dufus engineer who wants to promote that sort of thing). It's 350-400 kids in an auditorium with no windows. Few years ago, we found out they had installed motion detectors that turned off lights after a period of time when they didn't detect anything. Only problem was we were all there, kids didn't move while working, it got REALLY dark and those of us in there didn't know what was going on. Took a couple of minutes to straighten it out. It's funny now, but at the time... not so much... :-)
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Please excuse the off-topic comment but I couldn't resist: So THAT'S how you keep 350-400 kids from not moving? Amazing! Were they quiet too? Can't even imagine. :shock:

Anyway...back to topic now. BTW...this is one of the best threads going right now.
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Greenskeeper wrote:Cigarette Butts: What the hell is wrong with people?
Greens I am so with you! This is something I have never ever understood, whether at the local train station or on a beautiful beach. I have sometimes said "don't throw your burning trash on the ground" and usually get a "F___ you" in response. Just shows the intelligence and charm of someone who thinks the Earth is their trash can.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Interesting topic and good to see ideas and ideals from all quarters.
On the asthetics of wind turbines, I would much rather see a line of windmills on the horizon than to see a power plant smoke stack knowing the air and water emmisions that come with it. Wind could only generate a small portion of the power consumed on StJ in high season though. Other methods would be needed. Solar and surf come to mind but still the consumption would still surpass what all of those technologies could supply if conservation is not practiced.
At home we conserve when and where we can even though were we live water and utilites are abundant (right now) and relatively cheap. It is no huge change for us when on island. We use a scaled back version of the yellow/mellow rule at home and even when guests away from home the first of us does not flush when know the other is immediately following. We have had some friends think it is odd or even gross but others who have come to adopt the same practice. We do tend to rinse our dishes more at home because it is usually 24-48 hours between dishwasher loads, but we do use the rinse water on the house plants. Our showers are longer at home and we haven't adopted our island practice of turning the water off while shampoo'ing or soaping. We do re-cycle and compost at home and until our last trip I always had to shiver when having to deposit re-cycleables into a regular trash can. We like fresh island air and have only found the need to use A/C probably two nights during our visits, both because of too much sun combined with hot humid nights. We would love to see a per-use utility fee on villas for two reasons, I believe our bill would be less than the norm and it would also provide an eye opener and education for those inclined to take the "I'm on vacation" attitude.

EZ thanks for this posting. I'm sure it has enlightened many who otherwise would not know just how limited the resources are on any island.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

toes in the sand wrote:At home we conserve when and where we can even though were we live water and utilites are abundant (right now) and relatively cheap. It is no huge change for us when on island.

We like fresh island air and have only found the need to use A/C probably two nights during our visits, both because of too much sun combined with hot humid nights.
Growing up in a house with an old, touchy septic system and shallow, unreliable well, I was conditioned to be very mindful of consumption. We had switches on the showerheads - wet, turn off, lather, rinse. My dad would have raised the roof if I was hanging out in the shower for more than 5 minutes. To shave our legs, my mom and I used a bit of water in a bucket and sat on the edge of the tub.

So the STJ villa warnings/requests are common sense to me.

My husband and friends, on the other hand, grew up in area with public utilities and never experienced running out of water or not being able to flush the toilet. They can hearing save water, save water, save water a 1,000x over but not truly understand what saving water means.

All of us do, however, prefer island night sounds more than AC so we do are part to be mindful of electricity.
2catlimit

Post by 2catlimit »

Hey Guys,

I run into the problem that, while I'm very conscious of conserving electricity,
I find in regard to safety, I can't sleep with the windows/doors open,
even though I much prefer the open air and night sounds.
Unfortunately, it's too hot and stifling to sleep with things closed up and no a/c.

I've tried, but I find I just can't sleep with only a screen between me and anyone who walks onto the deck.
It didn't occur to me until, on one trip to St John, the pool man startled me very early one morning
when he walked by the sliding door of our bedroom on his way across to the pool.
I realized if he could walk up there at 6 a.m, anyone else could have at 3 a.m.
It kills me to have to shut everything up and turn on the a/c to go to sleep, but I feel like it's better safe than sorry.
I'm sure rental villas are more likely to attract that type of attention than private, constantly occupied homes,but I'd be interested to hear how the local people deal with security at night and for sleeping.
Kathy Henion
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Maybe a little re- reading here will be enlightening and less contentious.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

The company I work for opened a windturbine plant in the US recently. I am happy I work for a company that see's this is the future of whats to come. Something like 25% of there busineess is related to clean energy and saving energy. I am proud to work for such a company that understands we must pursue these things.
One thing good about being a cheap a$$ is I was allready in conserving mode before it became vogue. If it saves money I'm doing it. You want the masses to conserve more just hit them in the pocketbook. Give them expensive power and water and most people will change there ways quick like. Look at what happened when we had $4+ gas they couldn't make the Prius fast enough. Cheap power from fossil fuels slow change, expensive from fossils rapid change, simple economics really.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

cptnkirk wrote:The company I work for opened a windturbine plant in the US recently. I am happy I work for a company that see's this is the future of whats to come. Something like 25% of there busineess is related to clean energy and saving energy. I am proud to work for such a company that understands we must pursue these things.
One thing good about being a cheap a$$ is I was allready in conserving mode before it became vogue. If it saves money I'm doing it. You want the masses to conserve more just hit them in the pocketbook. Give them expensive power and water and most people will change there ways quick like. Look at what happened when we had $4+ gas they couldn't make the Prius fast enough. Cheap power from fossil fuels slow change, expensive from fossils rapid change, simple economics really.
Amen to that!

My company has stopped printing collateral and distributes everything electronically. We had a booth at a trade show last week and it surprised me how many people asked for a handout. You know they're just going to throw them out before they fly home! But one guy actually commended us for being green.

My kids' middle school installed a wind turbine this past summer. It's cool - looks like a sculpture (not a windmill - more like a blue and silver giant egg beater.) It is hooked up to screens in the science classrooms so the kids can see how much energy is being generated. It doesn't power anything in the school - it goes back to the grid and the school gets credit on their electric bills. It won't pay for itself for a looong time, but that's not really the point. It's teaching the kids about renewable energy sources, which is really cool.

Exit Zero: I'm glad you reminded us about this thread. STJ is a precious and small place, and we all need to try to minimize our impact as much as possible.

I personally would rather pay a few extra dollars at the grocery store and be forced to use reusable bags. Then I'd use them all week for groceries, take-out, buying tee shirts, etc. I think it would be great if none of the stores had disposable bags! (OK, maybe for meat, but that's it.) Or charge me $10 extra for my villa and have a few of them handy. Maybe for my next trip I'll remember to bring my own. It's a small change, but would have an impact over time.
Exit Zero

Re: Infrastructure on STJ

Post by Exit Zero »

since today is 'bump the old thread day' maybe this one deserves revisiting:

Where does STJ get its power from?? Does it have its own independent power plant ? Oil burning?? What percentage of STJ homes have public water?? Where does the fresh water come from?? Does STT supply water and power to STJ?? Does STJ have a concrete plant?? Can the majority of rental villas exist on rainwater collection or would they be useless without a desalination plant? How much water is in an average cistern? Are there water pipes that bring water to most villas?
Where does the toilet flush end up in most island homes? Are there sewer pipes all over the island?? Where are the treatment plants? Who maintains them?

How many people have any idea what the answers are to any of these questions? I read so many posts here suggesting solutions and improvements to STJ - so I really wonder if many people actually understand the infrastructure.
iheartsj

Re: Infrastructure on STJ

Post by iheartsj »

Where does STJ get its power from?? Does it have its own independent power plant ? Oil burning??
Power comes from STT. The power plant is in bad shape and power fails regularly.
The plant burns oil but they are converting to propane. Soon come.

What percentage of STJ homes have public water?? Where does the fresh water come from?? Does STT supply water and power to STJ??
I don't know the actually percentage of homes that have public water. Perhaps some in Cruz Bay. the majority collect rain water in cisterns.

Does STJ have a concrete plant?? No all concrete comes over from STT. That is why construction on STJ shuts down when the barges are broken.

Can the majority of rental villas exist on rainwater collection or would they be useless without a desalination plant?
Villas might exist on rainwater if the visitors used water like the island residents. Unfortunately, some visitors don't realize the value of the water and take multiple showers per day. Flush for yellow. etc Water trucks are regular traffic. Especially during high season.

How much water is in an average cistern? It depends could be anything from 1,500 - 10,000 gallons. Don't know what the average is?

Are there water pipes that bring water to most villas? NO

Where does the toilet flush end up in most island homes? Into septic tanks.

Are there sewer pipes all over the island?? NO just in Cruz Bay

Where are the treatment plants? Who maintains them?
Treatment plant in Cruz Bay across from the Marketplace. Maintained by government, Waste Management Authority.