"old" STJ stories from over the weekend

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

"old" STJ stories from over the weekend

Post by PA Girl »

My husband was talking to someone last week on a job site. They were working on a schedule, husband mentioned the timing worked out well "because I am getting ready to go on vacation..."

The man inquired where and when he heard we were going to STJ, he told my husband how his parents, for many, many years, would spend a month each year on STJ. This was back before he was born, into his early childhood. My husband estimated the man's age to be 50-ish.

The guy said how his parents would be met at the ferry dock by someone in an old jeep who would, drive them up over the mountain to the "other side", drop them off and come back at the end of the month to return them to the ferry dock.

(When husband said Coral Bay? he said, yes, that is where his parents would stay)

Based on his age, this would have been in the late 50's, early 60's. A month in Coral Bay, during that era, no transportation. That must have been an interesting vacation!

The ILs of a distant cousin of mine lived on STJ in the late 60s thru the 70s. He talked about visiting them and from his description, it sounds like they lived up on the hill above Mongoose somewhere. (He didn't use Mongoose as a land mark, I am basing my guess on his description of the location in relation to standing at the ferry dock with his back to the water.)

He mentioned many of the bars/restaurants that I have seen on old STJ photo threads. He talked about how they would go to Caneel every Sunday for lunch and said it was like the ILs country club, their friends would gather and hang out for hours. (these are not wealthy people, which tells me COL must have been much cheaper back then)

He (distant cousin) seemed to love visiting. His wife (daughter of said couple) didn't seem to share the same fond memories. She said something like "and then, thank God, they moved home."