question for scuba girl?

Travel discussion for St. John
bill

question for scuba girl?

Post by bill »

Next year for the first time we will be chartering a catamarn to sail around the virgin islands! not bare boat though. Do you have any advice for us first timers. of course after the weeks sail we will be staying on St John for a few days. Can't resist.

thanks

billie
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

My husband and I did a sailing charter last November.

It was a wonderful vacation; our own captain and private chef.

As a first timer, be sure that your captain knows what you want from the charter; sailing, snorkeling, nights on shore, happy hours on shore, never on shore, party anchorages, quiet anchorages.

We sailed for 4 days; never stepped foot on shore - which was great for us. Lots of great snorkeling and quiet anchorages.

And pack very light!!

You'll have a wonderful time.

janet
janet
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Here is the link to the crusing guide.

http://www.cruisingguides.com/search_re ... =32-bottom

Buy it and read it before you go and take it with you. It comes with a chart, so you can mark places you want to go.

I've never been on a boat, with a captain, been there 10 times since 1998, but we sail and captain the boat our selves, but I would assume he/she will take you where ever you want to go.

Resently, we have started to take friends, who don't boat, but would like to experience bare boating in the virgins, and would never go on their own. It's a great way to get another trip, and only pay the airfare and meals.

If you have any questions about specific places, I would love to answer them for you. :lol:
bill

questions for scuba girl

Post by bill »

thank you janet and scuba girl! i already have the book! been studying every word. we have been going to the islands for 15 years now, but it is never enough. we do plan on packing light. do you have any favorite anchorages? we love cooper island in particular. where did you usually stop for the night? thanks....... billie
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

I have many favorite anchorages. Usually we stay the night somewhere close to a dive site, so we can dive first thing in the morning.

If not diving....

One of my favotites is Gorda Sound. Between the Bitter End and Saba Rock, and snorkeling on the reef beyond Saba Rock, there are lots of things to do. The Bitter End is a great place to go for a walk, sit on the beach, eat, shop, even swim in the pool.

My next favorite is White Bay! Soggy Dollar and Ivan's and the best beach around. Last December I decided to go on a little snorkel myself, Hubby was frigging around with something on the the boat. I came upon a sunk dory, siting in the open, fairly close to shore and only in about 10 ft of water. The really neat part is that there were 100's of baby fish, all in and around the gunnels of the dory. Some times its the simple things that are really neat.

Little Harbour on JVD is Home to Sydney's Peace and Love (I wonder why I like it so much) Self serve bar, great t-shirts from Strawbeery (one of Sydney's daughters). Always good for a laugh!

We also love Cooper Island!
I love Norman Island, cause it's close to an amazing dive at Angel Fish Reef - further out than the caves.

We usually spend a night at Marina Cay. Good place to get water, Ice etc.

I could go on and on forever...........