Reposting trip report

Travel discussion for St. John
mcdomzal

Reposting trip report

Post by mcdomzal »

I posted this short trip report on the old forum the day that we switched over to the new forum. Thought I'd repost it here in case it got lost in the shuffle and since people are asking for trip reports. Hope you enjoy!

Hi all!

Just returned from our second trip to STJ. We took a chance with the weather to have cheaper villa rates. We went this same time last year and had great weather. Unfortunately, this year we rolled the dice and lost. We arrived on 7/29 and it was raining. It rained off and on the rest of the day and all day Sunday. Mon. and Tues. were beautiful and we spent 6 hours each day at the beach because we knew tropical storm Chris was coming. Chris arrived on Wed. and hung around thru Thurs. Friday was beautiful (another 6 hours at the beach). Sat. when we were leaving on the ferry it was raining cats and dogs again.

All that said, we still had a wonderful time! We kept reminding ourselves what I think FlaGeorge says, "A rainy day in STJ is better that a sunny day at home." The tropical storm ended up not being too bad, although, we did lose our electricity for about 15 hours. The villa people came on Tuesday and removed all our pool furniture and anything breakable on the veranda. Thankfully, it was only me and my DH on this trip because I think the kids would have had a harder time being "stuck" in the villa for about 24 hours. But for us, it was very relaxing forcing us to slow down even more which was really a very good thing for us. Our lives are very hectic.

Our villa was beautiful!! The beaches were beautiful!! The snokeling was beautiful!! The food and drinks were great!! Even with crummy weather we fell in love with STJ even more! Unfortunately, we probably won't be back for a long time, getting away without the kids is a big undertaking, and our daughter hated STJ when we were there last year. (i know, unbelievable, but we love her anyway :) So it maybe 7 or 8 years, but we will be back. Hopefully, things won't change too much. We are hoping that Castro dies, Cuba opens up, and people start going there!

That's about it. Here's a list of our favorites as I always enjoyed when others listed theirs.

Best beach: Hawksnest
Best snorkeling: Gibney
Best restaurant: Rhumb Lines (we went here 2x!)
Best drink: Peanut Butter Bushwacher @ Pastory
Best store: STJ Spice
Best lunch place: Deli Grotto

Thanks again to all who helped us plan. And see you on the new boards!
MCDomzal
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Thanks for reposting. I had missed the post on the old forum.

Can you say more about your villa? Which one was it? Where? Etc.

Thanks
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Thanks for re-posting. I read your original post on the old forum, but I never mind a recap! :)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks for the report. We had a lot of rain when we were there in June also. Oh well, at least the island was nice and green!

Where did you stay?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Loved your report and the fact that although you had lots of rain you all didn't let it damper your spirits. Thank you for reposting it for us.
Coden
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

What villa did you rent? I am so sorry it had to rain so much while you were there, but it sounds like you made the most of it!

I LOVE it when we get a rainy day and hubby and I hunker out at the villa. Thanks for posting your TR, hope it won't be as long as you think till you can go back. Kids are fickle, especially girls! :wink:

Jan (aka Charlie)
mcdomzal

Post by mcdomzal »

We stayed @ SeaCruz villa on Contant point. It was a very nice little villa- 2 bedrooms,pool, totally A/C'd, killer views. I wrote a review about it in the review section.
MCDomzal
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

That peanut butter bushwhacker sounds great!!!!

nothintolose
mcdomzal

Post by mcdomzal »

I know!!! I had several bushwackers on island and that one was by far the best!!!! Peanut butter and chocolate...need I say more! :)
MCDomzal