Hello!

Travel discussion for St. John
AnyTing

Hello!

Post by AnyTing »

Hi! I've been away from the forum for a while (I know, shame on me), but since we have a trip to STJ coming up in late November, I'm itching to see what's going on. I'll probably have to check in to get my daily fix for the next few months. I just wanted to say "hi" to the new forum.

We'll be there the first week of December at Sunnyledge. We stayed there last year, and I think it's become the villa of choice for us from here on out! This will be our 8th trip to STJ, but so many things seem to be changing on the island so fast, I suddenly feel like there is so much I don't know.

Our last trip was November 2005. Any updates on new things to expect will be appreciated. I realize there is now the new car barge, there was also discussion of the development of the Maho area the last time we were there and I was wondering what has happened with that, any new roadwork or construction to be aware of, I think there's now the new parking lot in Cruz Bay, anything else new since last November that I'd want to know?

Thanks!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Hello VickiH ... welcome back. Glad to see so many of the old forumites returning!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi there!

I have a question for you since you have stayed at Sunnyledge before. I had inquired with Terry about whether smoking is allowed inside the villa, and she replied yes. Because of that, we decided not to stay there even though it looks so nice and Francis is one of our favorite beaches.

So, does it smell really smoky in the house? Did I misinterpret her email? I really love the location, but I have allergies to smoke (along with just about everything else), so I would be uncomfortable staying in a house that permitted smoking.

Thanks!

PS: Nothing is happening with the Maho construction. Thank goodness!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
AnyTing

Sunnyledge

Post by AnyTing »

That actually surprises me. I would have thought Sunnyledge to be non-smoking. My husband and I are both non-smokers and aren't big fans of the smell, so I would have noticed if there was even a HINT of an odor. I noticed nothing. I HIGHLY recommend Sunnyledge. We always stayed in a different villa for each trip to St. John. But we'll be sticking with Sunnyledge from here on out. Sunnyledge is too perfect. And the funny thing is, I was always adamant about having a pool. Sunnyledge has no pool, but the house is simply heaven and the location is simply perfection. The owners are extremely nice as well. They emailed us several times before our stay and even called us the day we arrived to make sure everything was just perfect.
Diane

Post by Diane »

VickiH,
Could you please tell me if Sunnyledge has a website or how I could get some info on it (location, A/C, etc)? I don't recall seeing that villa name on the gazillion rental agency sites I've been to.
Thank you, Diane
bert

Re: Sunnyledge

Post by bert »

Liamsaunt - don't worry about the smoke smell. Everything is open to the winds - the odors don't linger like in the states where the inside air is usually recycled; also there are no curtains or drapes to retain the odor as in hotel rooms. If in doubt you can always call Terry or email her. I know that she checks email every morning.

peace.... bert

VickiH wrote:That actually surprises me. I would have thought Sunnyledge to be non-smoking. My husband and I are both non-smokers and aren't big fans of the smell, so I would have noticed if there was even a HINT of an odor. I noticed nothing. I HIGHLY recommend Sunnyledge. We always stayed in a different villa for each trip to St. John. But we'll be sticking with Sunnyledge from here on out. Sunnyledge is too perfect. And the funny thing is, I was always adamant about having a pool. Sunnyledge has no pool, but the house is simply heaven and the location is simply perfection. The owners are extremely nice as well. They emailed us several times before our stay and even called us the day we arrived to make sure everything was just perfect.
Jamestown

Hi

Post by Jamestown »

Hi VickiH,

Good to have you back. I still chuckle about your shark encounter @ Waterlemon and your daily excursions for Cocoberry (?) slushies! BTW, where exactly did you purchase them?? Looking forward to your next entertaining trip report.
Jamestown
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

<adds>
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Jamestown:
Ahhhh....the magical Cocoberry Shake....they are only at the Paradise Cafe in Wharfside Village (that little smoothie stand near the road). Thanks for remembering my trip reports. This next one should be interesting because we are taking the "mother-in-law" (anyone remember the blue bucket?) and my parents.

Diane:
Sunnyledge does have a website, but the information on it is pretty minimal and the photos don't do it justice (www.francisbeach.com). There are some better pics on www.vacationhomerentals.com (#1911). The best way to get info. is to email the owner, Dave Rees. I think the email is sunnyledge@earthlink.net. I have it at work so I'll check on Monday. You can also email Terry Witham who is the person on the island that manages it for the owners - terryr@attglobal.net. I also have pics of Sunnyledge from our last trip at http://community.webshots.com/user/vcook29.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Thank you, Vicki. Looks like a very nice place. St. John in December sounds so nice. Hope you have a great time.
Diane
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

VickiH wrote: This next one should be interesting because we are taking the "mother-in-law" (anyone remember the blue bucket?)
Oh my gosh! I remember the blue bucket!! I can't wait for your next report. I was laughing so hard at your last one! :lol:
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Does anyone remember doritos and sushi?

That was you, VickiH, right???
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

VickiH, can you repost your trip report? I remember it, but I can't seem to find it!
-Ruth
ScottB

I remember.......

Post by ScottB »

I remember the blue bucket. Wasn't that for getting in and out of the vehicle?

By the way, my wife & I will be there the same time as you. We arrive 11/29 and depart 12/7. We have already made plans to meet up with Bill/VA from this board.

92 days!!!!!! 8)
AnyTing

Flip-Flop - you know me too well....

Post by AnyTing »

Yes, Doritos and Sushi. That's me. I don't know if you remember, but we were there at the same time in May 2005. Although I didn't know what you looked like at the time, you had mini Flip Flop on Francis Beach the same day we were there. The day the popoises were there. I recognized you from your pictures that you posted after you came back!!

It's good to be back!