Trip Report August 11-15 - Part 1

Travel discussion for St. John
Cindy in pa

Trip Report August 11-15 - Part 1

Post by Cindy in pa »

This was a short trip to pick up my son. I stayed at The Inn at Tamarind Court in a single. They have 6 singles that share 2 bathrooms. For the money these rooms are a good deal. Each room has a single bed, fridge, dressers and tv. Coffee and Juice are included every morning at the restaurant.
The Inn has parking and only takes a few minutes to walk to town.
I rented a jeep from Dependable Car Rental on St Thomas. They pick you up at the airport. I know all the back roads to Red Hook so it was no time at all the get to the car barge. A barge had just left when I got there but the next one was loading. Within 20 minutes the bargw was headed for St John.
I traveled the day after the new travel restrictions. I like to have only carry on when I land on St Thomas so I left my shampoo, lotions, etc... at home. Once off the ferry I went to the drugstore to buy all my supplies. No big deal doing that.
After I checked into the Inn I walked to the Quiet Mon Pub. It was 4 in the afternoon. There was my son who looked just like an island boy, long curly hair and in need of a shave. He looked like he had been living on the island for 3 months! Kenny the bartender greeted me with a freshly made pain killer in hand. Now that is a great island welcome.
After a while we went to Pastory Gardens for sunset punch. We then decided to drive over to Coral Bay and try Sweet Plantains. This restaurant is relativly new and West Indian cuisine. The food was delicious and worth the drive. The ambiance of the place was very nice also. On the drive back we stopped at Pastory agin and a few drinks with friends.
Since my son worked very hard all summer I took him on a day sail the next day. We went with Capt Phil on the Wayward Sailor. We went to a small Cay behind Lovango cay to snorkle. We saw turtles, large baracudas and very large tarpon. After a delicious lunch we had a discussion about sea life and especially octopi. Capt. Phil is really into octopi. We went snorkeling in front of Lovango cay and sure enough my son's friend spotted an octopus!
We got back around 4 and took a short nap. We went up to Pastory Gardens for sunset punch. My son worked there all summer so it was just like a family gathering up there. We decided to got to Happy Fish for dinner. That is a sushi restaurant in the Market Place. They have delicious food and very reasonable prices. Service was very slow though because we arrived just after a party of 8 and a party of 10. Got done at 10 pm so just went back to the inn for an early night.
I am ending this thread here because I keep deleting my trip report by accident. I will now work on the second half. Stay tuned.
Robin in NC

I think we met your son...

Post by Robin in NC »

Hey Cindy...Did your son work p.r. by day, and wait tables at night? If so, we met him when we were there in early June. We talked with our young waiter the night we were at Pastory, and he told us he was from Philly (I think) and that he was there for the summer. If he's your son, you should be very proud, he was very personable and self-assured. Well, I'm sure you're proud of your son even if it's not this young man, but you know what I mean. Thanks for the report, looking forward to the next part...

Robin
Cindy in pa

Caribbean son

Post by Cindy in pa »

Yes Robin, you met my Son. I am a very lucky mom to have such a great son.