Trip Report August 11-15 - Part 2

Travel discussion for St. John
Cindy in pa

Trip Report August 11-15 - Part 2

Post by Cindy in pa »

Back to St John. Sunday my son's friends were having a keg party at Hawksnest for him and another semi-local who was leaving. So we did our shopping in Cruz bay. You know hook bracelets at Freebird and the traditional coffee and hot sauces from St John Spice. We also like to shop at Everyting which is closing the store in Cruz bay and will just have one shop at Gallows Point. It is not a long walk to gallows point and worth it.
After shopping we went to the Beach Bar for lunch and Bloody Marys. Unfortunatly they were out of the tuna down now. I got the turkey bacon sandwhich and my son got the tuna sandwhich. Both were delicious and they serve it with pasta salad.
After lunch we headed to Hawksnest. It was Sunday and the parking lot was full. We got a spot along the road though. We did some sunning and swimming before the keg arrived. The snorkeling is soso. There is some large elkhorn coral and if you float above and watch you will see lots of tiny fish moving about.
That night we were going to eat at Cafe Roma, I haven't been there yet. But we didn't want to sit inside and it looked crowded. We went to JJ's and had mexican. The food was good and we got to eat outside. We went back up to Pastory for drinks with friends. After a while we went back to town and did the circuit, Beach bar to Larrys, then Quiet Mon to sit on the balcony and The Front Yard for pool, foosball and darts. Walked back to the Inn at like 2 am.
By the way, I arrived the day of the attack. I heard nothing about it and in all my walks this trip and in July we never saw anything suspicious. Yes, people are hanging around but it seems if you say hello and are nice they are nice back and do not bother you.
Our last full day on St John we went to waterlemon. This is one of our favorite snorkle spots. We hit gold that day. We saw turtles right away, rays, flounder and a bright green moray eel! That was all on the swim before we got to the island. Around Waterlemon we saw huge parrot fish and lots of blue Tangs. Just before finishing I almost swam into a pinkish purple jelly fish about the size of my head. We have never seen jelly fish before, they must come out in August. We saw others on the swim back but they were clear and smaller. When we got back the beach was full of familys so we went to Maho to lay out and relax. I always hate the last beach visit on the trip. You never want to get out of the water.
We were hungry so reluctantly packed up and went to the beach bar. We had a late lunch there, good food again. After cleaning up, we went to Zozo's for martinis at sunset. It was cloudy that night but still a beautiful setting. We were still full from late lunch so we didn't have any apps.
We went back to Pastory of course. My son's last night and all his friends wanted to party with him. Our regular bartenders were there and made great drinks. If you like margarittas and "eggs" Matt is the bartender, tell him you heard he made a great Cuervo Tequilla. He will make you a great margaritta. Tell him Cindy sent you.
We played mini-golf which was interesting because the course was wet from rain.
On our way back to the inn we stopped again at the Quiet Mon and The front Yard. It is amazing how empty the town is in August compared to the begining of July. I was there for Juvee and of course there is no comparison to that - what a blast.
The next day we had to leave. We had a 2:50 flight but wanted to make sure we had time to stop and get our 6 liters on St Thomas. In July only 2 car barges had been working and we sat there for 1 and 1/2 hours. This time there were 4 running and was on St Thomas by 11. We went to the grocery store by kmart and loaded our liters into our suitcases. We wrapped them up in dirty clothes and fully expected breakage. Surprisingly, all bottles around home safe and sound.
So that ended a short but fantastic trip to St John. Now I have to plan my next trip. Hopefully it won't be too long from now.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Thanks for the fun report Cindy. What a fantastic relationship you have with your son. It sounds like you truly had wonderful visit. I got from the report that your a lucky mom and your son is a lucky island boy. It made me smile.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

Hi Cindy, thanks for posting your report! It was sorely needed around here. Pastory was closed when we were there the first of May and we were so disappointed. Maybe next time.

How great that your son was able to stay/work on STJ all summer! Wish I could do that. I need a sabbatical. Three months might do it! :-)

Thanks again. Enjoyed reading about your trip.

sarahD
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thank you for your report. I enjoyed reading both. Yum - bloody mary's at the Beach Bar. Sounds delish!!!
Coden
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

thanks for tip on Everyting moving; that became one of my favorites on our last trip; I would have been so disappointed to get there and see it gone. We're staying near Gallow's point so it will be a short walk to visit that location.

And, I've added Pastory to my list of new places to try in November; the list is getting very long - I hope I put a dent in it 8)
janet