TO: promoguy re: Crystal Palace

Travel discussion for St. John
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Oh please, an email unanswered for 5 days, for a reservation months and months away? That is absolutely no reason for a negative post on a popular message board. It is just plain irresponsible to condemn someone publicly before even making a second attempt to communicate.

As it turns out it was a matter of misunderstanding and a second email would have solved the entire problem.

I feel bad for Ronnie. The whole thing is unfair and unjustified. He has treated the whole mess with a lot of class.
JT

Post by JT »

I thought,Steph
A:you were more then a little harsh on Ronnie. For one non- response to an e-mail to get trashed was pretty rough, especially when he was so highly recommended.
B: You must be having a bad/stressed day
C: Gosh,You've been to the USVI's! Things don't always happen as quick as they do stateside. People live a little slower. The "me now" attitude is something that we all try to get away from on island.
D: How many folks will just read your 1st post, but not the follow up threads and possibly not do business with Ronnie, or worst yet pass on "Well I heard on the Internet...." and trash him also?
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
bert

Post by bert »

What we have here is a failure to communicate. A follow-up to Ron, instead of a blast to the whole forum, would have been more appropriate - and would probably have elicited a better resolution! It's always okay to admit you made a mistake. The ideal soultion would be to end up booking that night, and then post a great report here!

This rule usually works for me:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

peace.... bert
fran

Post by fran »

FlaSteph,
Do yourself a HUGE favor. Call / write / e-mail Ronnie, and see if it is possible to just drop by the Crystal Palace to meet him and see his place. It will be an unforgettable experience.

Ronnie was my introduction to the USVI. I had never been there, did not know what to expect, and was arriving with friends who had never left the Continental US. Ronnie's house is, for lack of a better word, grand. But more than that - he is the real thing. A native who willingly gives you the inside scoop on all kinds of happenings, both on STT and STJ.

I cannot explain what a difference that made. CA would have seemed rather frightening at night, if it weren't for the fact that we were with Ronnie and walking down to eat at his cousin's restaurant ("Cuzzin's" - you've GOT to try it!). The next day, the hubbub and commotion of all of the cruise ship activity was rather exhausting to participate in on street level - but was so cool to watch from Ronnie's balcony!

And the house! Gosh. You just have to see the place.

I guess what I am trying to say, in my long-winded way, is that CA is nothing like any mainland town I had ever been in - and instead of being frightening or confusing, I was charmed. The reason was - Ronnie. The pace of island life is the reason I go back to STT and STJ - it takes a bit of getting used to, but then, who of us does NOT need to get away from our fast-paced business environment and return to a "simpler" time?!
fins-up fran
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Gosh...I've never gone to the Crystal Palace...But I sure do want to now. I've always thought Ronnie was a nice asset to the various VI boards and will continue to have that opinion. Might have to stroll up and say hi one of these days. I can honestly say I wasn't affected at all by one persons opinion.

Personally have been in the travel biz for a few years...quite a few and rarely anymore are there even any discounts offered for those who toil away in the less glamerous parts of the biz anywhere. They are about nonexistent in the USVI. I don't ask as I know the line between making money and breaking even in that business is a slim one. (Plus I hate rejection...LOL)

However, didn't realize people (right on this board) are getting upgrades simply by asking..what might I be missing? We're not million milers or platium flyers and pay dearly for out tickets...but so does the rest of coach class...so what makes some folks special and others...well...stuck in coach for life??? I hope somebody can shed some light on that question.

Our most memorable trip down was several years ago when we got treated to an upgrade without asking as a flight was overbooked and I offered our seats up for the next flight for bump tickets and only asked that we sit together as family on the next flight down. The gate agent never said a word, just that we were sitting all together. Talk about spoiled for life...Boston to San Juan in style. Our daughter looks longingly at the first class cabin on every flight we go on now...LOL :D
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

You guys - please stop all of this - just end it - there are too many other things in life that are worth stressing over. No need for all of the negatives it's just not worth it in the big scheme of things - believe me I know.

Go look at the webcam and be happy that you are here and will one day (hopefully) be there.

nothintolose
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Berlingirl wrote: However, didn't realize people (right on this board) are getting upgrades simply by asking..what might I be missing?

Our most memorable trip down was several years ago when we got treated to an upgrade without asking as a flight was overbooked
I know of people who have gone up to the counter within about 15 min. of departure, asked if there were any upgrades available, and have been moved into first class for $50 extra. I may be wrong, but I'm quite certain I read it on this forum. I guess that's what you're missing.

It appears by your own word that you have gotten upgrades by saying nothing at all.

Maybe it's me that missed something? I really see no reason for your attitude toward what I said, where in the world did that come from?

No. don't answer. I didn't post to start anything up. In fact I believe I originally said I was very tired of all the negative junk here on the new forum.
Berlingirl

Question on Upgrades

Post by Berlingirl »

Thanks Californiagirl for answering that query. I don't get on the board a whole lot and sometimes weeks go by and I miss lots of information. Didn't know it was possible to upgrade at a minimal charge. Probably won't do us a lot of good as we travel during busy (peak) times and everything these days is usually full to oversold. Glad you took the time to answer. :D
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!