TO: promoguy re: Crystal Palace

Travel discussion for St. John
FlaSteph

TO: promoguy re: Crystal Palace

Post by FlaSteph »

A request was made for recommendations for one night on St. Thomas. You recommended Crystal Palace with everyone's favorite host, Ronnie.

I would like to advise you that an email was sent over a week ago to Ronnie regarding staying one night next May. To date there has not been one answer to our email. This is not my opinion of a "favorite host".

I do not consider this acceptable customer service. Having traveled all over and experiencing different levels of customer service, (the majority being very favorable), I would not consider staying at the Crystal Palace, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Just my opinion, however we have met so many wonderful people on this forum that I wanted to share this experience!
RonUSVI

Wow!

Post by RonUSVI »

So sorry I did not respond in time to your request of 5 days ago(August 23rd, does not make over a week ago). I did get an email the very next day from someone from another forum, telling me they had booked and I thought it was you. I never looked back to match up the emails. Sorry you feel this way. Hope you find accommodations.
RL 8)
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

Yes, we did find accommodations. Thank you.
silverheels

Crystal Palace

Post by silverheels »

Bet the accomodations won't be as nice!!
promoguy

Re: TO: promoguy re: Crystal Palace

Post by promoguy »

Well, I just don't know what to say. I am absolutely flabbergasted!!

That being said, where ever you stay it won't be like staying at a truly historic residence run by a basically decent human being.

It will, however, allow someone else to take advantage of that night.

FlaSteph wrote:A request was made for recommendations for one night on St. Thomas. You recommended Crystal Palace with everyone's favorite host, Ronnie.

I would like to advise you that an email was sent over a week ago to Ronnie regarding staying one night next May. To date there has not been one answer to our email. This is not my opinion of a "favorite host".

I do not consider this acceptable customer service. Having traveled all over and experiencing different levels of customer service, (the majority being very favorable), I would not consider staying at the Crystal Palace, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Just my opinion, however we have met so many wonderful people on this forum that I wanted to share this experience!
Bandit

Re: TO: promoguy re: Crystal Palace

Post by Bandit »

FlaSteph wrote:A request was made for recommendations for one night on St. Thomas. You recommended Crystal Palace with everyone's favorite host, Ronnie.

And this is just my opinion...

It seems to me that you could have very easily picked up the telephone and called. I imagine you have one.

Most businesses, especially in the tourism arena I think, use the telephone as the preferred means of communicating. There are still many people that will not share credit card information online so the telephone solves that issue very well.

I think the real deal here is the opportunity to slam a hard working small business owner because he might not have "jumped" when you snapped your fingers. Sorry it didn't meet your expectations...poo poo happens.

There could have been any number of logical reasons for you to not have received an e-mail back. Get over it. There was more than plenty of time for you to find somewhere else to stay, whatever the time frame, and hey.. it was for only one night. I'm sure the loss of "your" one hundred dollars really hurts him.

If I was Ronnie, I wouldn't want you or your attitude staying at my place anyway.
CindyM

Post by CindyM »

I really try not to comment on this type of thread, but this one I have to. There are a million reasons your email could have been overlooked (I do it all the time weeding through the junk I get), and it's really not fair of you to post a comment like that on a forum like this over one email. Ronnie is a hard working guy, and I don't think he'd ever deliberately or lazily not answer an email.

I've had experiences with agents/owners on St. John that haven't returned my phone calls that run great businesses. Things happen. Sometimes you need to be persistent yet flexible when you're traveling to the islands and give the benefit of the doubt, which is what Ronnie deserves here.
toni

Post by toni »

I'll jump in on this one too. I've never spoken to Ronnie nor stayed at the Crystal Palace, but husband and I needed a place for a Saturday night in December this year, so I emailed him a few weeks ago on a Friday night at 10pm to see if he allowed reservations for just one night. I had a reply from him by the next morning! :o Reservations were finalized by Sunday a.m., all via email/website. Sooo... I just had to say I've had a very good experience so far with the gentleman.
RonUSVI

Thanks guys.

Post by RonUSVI »

Thank you for your words. I know in this world of modern communications that folks do expect answers in a nano second. I usually do. The morning this came in at 7:30 AM, five days ago, I read it to get back to it later as it deserved some thought. I was taken aback by the request for a discount because it was coming from 'Anthony's forum'. I had to go and make breakfast for my guests and figured I would get back to it while thinking what a response I would make. I do offer discounts after 6 nights, the 7th is free. I figure I need to mull over this one to answer it as best I can. I offer free pickup at the airport saving upwards to $20-$25 for a taxi ride. I offer a first drink on the house. $6 my prices. There in itself is ample discount for a $100 stay I believe, but again, was trying to figure how to answer.
Next morning I received a reservation from another forum user from another forum. I said to myself, I guess he went ahead and booked, not waiting to hear about the discount, not knowing it was someone different. It was for the same time of year, about 9 months away. Sorry I didn't double check!
Oh well. You can't please everybody!
RL 8)
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

I do need to reply to this post.

It happens that I emailed the Crystal Palace this past Saturday the 26th to inquire about a one night stay this December. Of course I mentioned to Ronnie that we had met at "Howie's Tribute", had heard that The Crystal Palace was nice (via the FORUM). I also asked about staying for just 1 night.

Ronnie emailed me back early Sunday morning and the reservation has been done and we are looking forward to staying there this December. I just read Ronnie's recount of what happened, and I'm guessing I'm the confusing link. I understand FlaSteph's frustration, we've all felt unwanted by a business at one time or another.

So here's my take and opinion. I own a small (VERY SMALL) service business and we are in about 150 homes each week. In my line of work we HAVE to rely on the telephone to schedule the appointments. There are days that I don't even have time to check our email inquiries. Call it bad business, bad customer service, etc. But not all of us in the business world rely on the internet and the speed that comes with it.

FlaSteph, you and George are really nice people. The post from you this morning did not sound like your typical self, I'm hoping you might have been having a bad "Monday Morning".

Folks, I hate to see anyone blasted on this forum, for whatever the reason. And I hate to jump into this, I normally don't. Oh, where is HOWIE when we need him???
PEACE

Jan (aka Charlie)
way2old

Forum Friends

Post by way2old »

Steph,
You mentioned in an earlier post that there are some great people on this forum.

Your post slammed dunked a great guy, prolific poster, a native Virgin Islander, and one of the most helpful people you will ever meet.

I, like others, don't normally reply to terse and hostile threads but you raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

I think you may have ripped your britches...so you can either sew them up or go nekkid.

You have received many posts explaining what might have happened from many nice people without being inflammatory towards you...so, you might want to reply...it might be in your best interest!

GO LIMIN...way2old
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Hi Folks
Before this get too far out of hand, let me tell you that I was the author of the email sent to Ronnie. Below are the contents of the email:

“Hi Ronnie

FlaGeorge here from the USVI Forum. Next May my wife and I need a place to stay for one night on our return from St. John and your place looks great.
I was just wondering if you offer any discounts to people from the Anthony's USVI-On-Line Forum.

Have a great day and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards
George (FlaGeorge)”

Ronnie has admitted that he received my email. “The morning this came in at 7:30 AM, five days ago, I read it to get back to it later as it deserved some thought. I was taken aback by the request for a discount because it was coming from 'Anthony's forum'.”.

My email was not bashing nor putting down a local business/owner. I actually complimented Ronnie on his place by saying that his place looks great. I only became aware of the Crystal Palace through Anthony's USVI-On-Line Forum and see no harm in asking a business if they offer any discounts/specials.

Ronnie could have simply replied with his policies and that would have been fine.

I sincerely wish Crystal Palace and Ronnie continued success.

FlaGeorge
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Ali

Post by Ali »

Thanks FlaGeorge for replying.

I too sit on the sidelines for these threads but can't help getting into this one. Your e-mail request was great! I think what got peoples panties in a bunch was this:

"I do not consider this acceptable customer service. Having traveled all over and experiencing different levels of customer service, (the majority being very favorable), I would not consider staying at the Crystal Palace, nor would I recommend it to anyone."

The "posted" conclusion above, which appears to be based on one unanswered e-mail, is a tad rough in my opinion. We are all guilty of lost faxes, e-mails and phone messages. As already stated stuff happens. Publicly bashing a business for one unanswered e-mail is not right. JMO
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ok folks, so is everyone done beating up on FlaSteph and FlaGeorge now? I really shouldn’t get into this after I got so beat up by requesting a disturbing video inappropriate to a Virgin Islands travel forum be removed (no, I never thought it was real), but I just have to say this:

If you read FlaSteph’s original post she says: “Just my opinion” and that’s just what it is. Her opinion. Whether or not you agree with Steph, there’s no need to go bashing a person because they may have had a bad experience and want to share the information with the forum, as a lot of people do.

I thought when we moved over to this new forum that all the negative stuff and jumping on other people would stop. But apparently it hasn’t.

I see Steph’s situation as a miscommunication: #1 - between her and Ronnie, and #2 – between her post and how everyone seemed to perceive it, more than anything. She e-mailed and expected an answer. If a business is going to post their e-mail address on their website, then they are basically advertising that they are willing to communicate through this medium and they should honor that. According to Ronnie’s post, he could have responded right away but he had to think about it for a day or two. Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with FlaGeorge inquiring about a discount. I always ask if an establishment offers discounts such as AAA, because a lot of times discounts aren’t necessarily advertised and are available only if you ask. How many times have we read on this forum that someone got an airline upgrade, for instance, only because they asked? In Las Vegas there are tons of discounts available, but again, only to those who ask.

When Ronnie received an e-mail from another party making a reservation, it probably would have been in his best interest to compare requests to see if maybe it might be a completely different person, rather than assuming, like a lot of us do, that it was the same person who inquired a few days earlier. He could have had two reservations instead of one in that case. FlaSteph could probably have phoned, however why make a long-distance call if you have sent an e-mail to someone who agrees to communicate that way by posting their e-mail address on their website.

All in all, it’s not that big of a deal. At least not big enough to warrant all the negative responses here.

And that’s just MY opinion. :wink:
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Actually if Flasteph or george or whoever had thought for a moment, they would have maybe PM'd me since I was the one who gave the recommendation.

They didn't and as Ali said, kind of slammed a business. As a business owner, that's not the way to do things. And if it's the Ali I know from here, she is also a business owner and probably the reason for her comment.

Gee, and as far as a discount for one night. Yeah right with all the guy does to get you to his place. And trust me I know the guy and know how much he does for a guest.

But you did a great discourse.