RickG

Tipping VIlla Rental Agents

Post by RickG »

Do you tip the villa rental agent? They do a good bit:
- meet you at the ferry dock
- help you find the car rental agency
- show you how to find your villa
- show you around the villa

I'm curious what the agents themselves expect?

Cheers, RickG

Less than 90 days to STJ!
Diane

Post by Diane »

Yes, we tipped our "greeter". He met us in Cruz Bay, had us follow him in our jeep to the villa in Coral Bay (about 30 minute drive). He spent about 20 minutes showing us things at the villa.
I remember reading something in the info we received from the rental agency about tipping greeters; it's appreciated. We gave him $20 and he did seem appreciative.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

that's good to know. I hadn't actually thought about that.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I was a villa manager for 5 years and I never received a tip. I never even thought about it. I figured that it was part of my job and part of the service that the renter was paying for.

I don't think that I was ever offered one either. I would meet them at the dock, take them to the rental car, give a quick tour of town, then off to the villa to give the tour and point out things. I would spend almost an hour with every guest.

I know that some people pay folks to do their arrivals. They get a flat fee to meet and greet.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We tip our greeters $20. I don't know if it is expected or not, but it seems like a nice thing to do. They are certainly helpful and friendly.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I've always understood the etiquette is NOT to tip the agent. We never have. I think we offered to once but were graciously declined.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We have never tipped our villa rep and had honestly never thought about it.

I'm on the side of NOT tipping the rep, it just doesn't feel right. Hubby & I are normally very generous tippers, especially for "extra" service or really good service, so it's not that.

It's a good question and so far some good replies.

Jan (aka Charlie)
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I have wondered this myself and debated in my mind what was appropriate. I have always ended up tipping them something---around $20-$25. This year I am renting through Caribbean Villas which charges a 5% "service fee" on top of the rental which makes me a little less inclined to tip.
---Jim
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

We've never tipped an agent who brought us to the villa. I assume that it's included in the cost of the villa.

We do however leave a generous tip for the house cleaners when we leave! :)

SarahD
JT

Post by JT »

A couple of years back, due to a holiday, we hit horrible trafic from the airport to the CA ferry and just as we pulled up saw the ferry pulling out. We had to call Windspree and tell them we missed the ferry. When we caught the next boat, Karen was waiting at the dock and after getting our car took us out to Ajax Peak. Meanwhile her family's dinner was delayed. We insisted on giving her a $20.00 tip. Later on during our trip we were at Shipwreck she saw us with a couple of friends and sent a round over for all of us. Karma catches up with you,eh?
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
RickG

Thanks for the responses

Post by RickG »

Great responses, and I pickup the tension that I feel as well in the responses. We do tip the maid but have only tipped the greeter when they went beyond the call.

Cheers, RickG