Can you take fresh produce into the USVI?

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Can you take fresh produce into the USVI?

Post by California Girl »

Everyone talks about taking food with them to STJ, STT or STX. My take is that usually these items are frozen or boxed things. But what about fresh produce? Like, for instance, can I take some fresh Avocados? Tomatoes? I know you can't bring things into the State of California (they take it away from you at the border), but I'm wondering if the same kind of laws prevail in the USVI?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

My understanding is that you can take it in, but you can't bring it out. I don't think you can bring seeds at all though.

I do wonder if you'd be able to transport such delicate items as tomatoes and avocadoes without damage. You have a long flight ahead of you! I know nothing compares to California produce, but I can tell you that I saw avocadoes for sale at Starfish, and they looked OK.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Jan N.

Post by Jan N. »

liamsaunt wrote:I know nothing compares to California produce,
Well, I guess you've never had Illinois corn and Illinois tomatoes in August.... :D

And Michigan peaches are the best ever, unless you maybe count Ontario.

California may have produce year round, but I'll take August in the midwest as far as good tasting produce goes....

But...in STJ, every ting tastes great....
Jan N.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

For some reason I didn't think I could get avos on St. John, and I keep hearing that the tomatos are "not so great". I'm thinkin' omlettes on the deck at the villa. I know I can get eggs & cheese and such at any market on the island. :D

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:30 pm.