New Watershoes/Booties - check
New Equipment Bags - check
Swimsuits/Trunks - check
Lots of Sunscreen - check
Lots of Bug Spray - check
Credit Cards - check
Airplane Tickets - check
Villa Rented - check

Okay - Let's get this show on the road!!! 110 Days Left to go - and I'm ready as I really don't think I need anything else than what I have listed above. Do you? Ha!

:)
Coden
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Your almost in the double digits - it'll go quick.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Sounds like one of those "nekkid" vacations, if you ask me! :lol:
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

Hey Coden:
We will be on St. George Island this weekend from Saturday through Monday...our favorite stateside "island"...where are you staying?

We also are counting down to STJ...248 days...can't wait until we are almost to the double digits like you are!!

Have a great time on St George and it looks like you are all set for STJ!! :lol:
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

One item you might consider is persciption swim goggles. These are that smaller ones that swimmers use. They are nice to wear when just swimming in the ocean or a pool. Here is a link to a Speedo brand pair that we got for my son. They are a good quality and not too expensive: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3038.htm

Our son had a pair of these as well as his persciption snorkel mask.
Bob & Anita
Jan N.

Post by Jan N. »

What kind of shoes/booties did you end up buying?
Jan N.
Coden

Post by Coden »

FlaGeorge - I know, almost single digits!! Woo-hoo...can't wait, it is going by quick!!

Cal Girl - Ha! I don't have any clothes listed do I? Hmmm, will it get chilly at night in December?? :lol:

FlaSteph - We are down on E. Gorrie the 800 block...can't wait...we love this side of the island. Say Hi for me when you get there. Where are you all staying?

B&A - I'll check those out...I actually thought about it on Sunday that swim goggles would be our next investment. Might as well go for the whole enchilada!!

Jan N - for right now I just went with two pair of the soft neoprene booties, size Large. They are too big for me, but I'm still looking for my water shoes (I've torn the house up!!) before I buy anything else for me. And I need my son to try them on, he wears a 12 1/2 or a 13 shoe. If he needs an XL then I'll order them for him and a Medium for me at the same time. I tell you though, the fin feels totally different with those on than just barefeet. Much nicer!
Coden
jmq

Post by jmq »

Coden -re your list: How about "rash guards" aka surf shirts for no worries of sunburned back while snorkeling? We live in ours when in da ilons.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
California Girl

jmq wrote:... surf shirts for no worries of sunburned back while snorkeling? We live in ours when in da ilons.
Hi jmq - I've looked at surf shirts online till my eyes are blurry and I just don't know what's good from what's bad. Got any recommendations?

Coden

Post by Coden »

jmq - I'm like Cal Girl, as I've looked all over the web for them. The thing with me is that the material is too close and too tight around my neck and I could never survive in that. I'm a V-neck or scooped neck girl. I do have some T's, that are tighter fitting that I can wear, one has quite a bit of lycra in it, but is still lightweight. I'll probably just wear that. Do you think that will be ok?
Coden
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

We like the East End also...this time we are staying at the StGeorge Inn...a first for us...
We have always rented from Anchor over the years...
Have a great time!!!
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

California Girl wrote:
jmq wrote:... surf shirts for no worries of sunburned back while snorkeling? We live in ours when in da ilons.
Hi jmq - I've looked at surf shirts online till my eyes are blurry and I just don't know what's good from what's bad. Got any recommendations?

We only have experience with Body Glove and think they are good. Recommend getting a size larger then you normally wear since they fit tight - they are made for those "ripped" teenagers like our older son. Other brands might fit looser.
Bob & Anita
jmq

Post by jmq »

CA girl - I would assume any "surf" brand name would be OK.

Coden - You are quite right – most have very high necks, but quick look on line shows these with lower crew necks which might be tolerable...

http://www.myrashguards.com/product/GCS_ROY

http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts/eca ... &Group=161

http://www.surfwearhawaii.com/dropin/pe ... uard.shtml

and this T back version
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H3 ... ?n=1036592

Obviously best if you can try on for comfort at local surf shop (real or mall based like Quicksilver), outdoor equipment store (like Eastern Mountain Sports), or large sporting goods store (like Dicks) or deal with reputable on-line or mail order merchants with easy return policies.
Plain old cotton T shirts wouldn’t be pleasant in the water due to weight etc. Another viable option with different necklines might be some of the real light weight high tech synthetic “performance wear” or “active wear” sports tops they have out there that may not be specifically designed to be used in the water but might be comfy and quick drying. You don’t have to spend $$ for the fancy UnderArmour/Nike type brands either – my daughter just got a nice loose fit light weight V neck Champion brand sports top for Xcountry training at Target that when I saw and felt it I thought gee I bet you could snorkel in something like that.
JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Robin in NC

Surf shirts

Post by Robin in NC »

See me there in my avatar photo (is that redundant?) wearing a plain old cotton t-shirt. Honest, I had no idea I was supposed to be wearing a surf shirt. I hope the fish didn't laugh at me. "Look at the newbie," they may have said, "No surf shirt! Let's leave him and swim around people who deserve our attention."

Robin
California Girl

Re: Surf shirts

Robin in NC wrote: Honest, I had no idea I was supposed to be wearing a surf shirt. I hope the fish didn't laugh at me. "Look at the newbie," they may have said, "No surf shirt! Let's leave him and swim around people who deserve our attention."
Yeah, Robin! I was thinking just that when I helped you with your photo! LOL! After I saw your t-shirt I thought to myself, I need to inquire about surf shirts so the fish won't avoid me like they must be doing with Robin and his plain ole' shirt! LOL!!

You crack me up!
:lol: :lol: :lol: