Balloons To Heaven

Travel discussion for St. John
mia

Balloons To Heaven

Post by mia »

We will be leaving this Friday for a two week stay on St. John.....it will be our second time. I am hoping you can help with answers to two questions.
Is there someplace on the island where we can buy 28 helium filled balloons?
A place we can drive to(too hard to hike with 28 balloons :wink: ).....a private and perfect spot for sending off our balloons?.....mia
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Please do not release balloons on the island. They can fall into the water and can kill the marine life.The deflated balloons can also be eaten by land animals and birds and can cause death.

Stop by the florist in Cruz Bay and pick up some flower petals and hike to the top of Peace Hill and throw them off the cliff.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

I agree with Xislandgirl about not releasing the balloons. There is an education program here in Florida to help people understand how balloons, plastic bags and zip-lock bags can be eaten by sea turtles. One of the main foods for sea turtles is jelly fish. The turtles mistake the deflated balloons, plastic bags and zip-lock bags as jelly fish and choke.

I too like the idea of flower petals. Please reconsider.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
mia

Post by mia »

Thank you for informing me about the damage that can be done by releasing balloons....I am embarrassed that I didn't know any better :oops:
No need to worry about me doing anything that would put sea life, animals or birds in harms way.
Xislandgirl...Thanks so much for suggestion...flower petals will be a lovely tribute....mia
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

Please don't be embarrassed...you didn't know, and we have all been there!! Enjoy your trip and I look forward to your report when you get back!