Bootie question....

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Bootie question....

Post by Coden »

Do we need sock booties to go with our fins? :D

I see that they are available and am wondering if people really wear them?

Thnx!!!
Coden
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Usually, sock booties are worn with open heel fins. It is very difficult to get the full footed fins on over booties. I have a pair of open heeled travel fins (they are shorter than the regular ones) and I like to wear the booties because they protect my feet from stones, rocky entrances for snorkeling, and hot sand.

Does that answer your question?
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Jan N.

Post by Jan N. »

I do the same -- booties with open heel fins. After a few years of wearing shoe type fins and dealing with stones and urchins at many beaches, I love wearing the booties to walk to the beach and into the water. Make sure you rinse them well and let them air out overnight. They can get kinda ripe if you leave them in the car for a few days. :shock:

CariBert, where did you get your travel fins? Do you like them?
Jan N.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ha! When I saw the subject "bootie question" I thought this was going to be a thread about JLO or Beyonce! Just my dirty mind, I guess :lol:
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

I really like the shorter fins, they fit in my carry on and the underside of my suitcase rather well. They are all you really need in the Virgins, unless you run into a really strong current (I haven't yet) and then you have to work a little harder is all.

I got them on line, I just googled "snorkel fins". I don't remeber the exact place I got them, but the google search will turn them up, there is only one company making them.

CariBert

Post by CariBert »

HA! CG, I thought the same thing, I almost got whiplash getting in here to find out whose bootie we were gonna talk about! :shock:

Coden

Post by Coden »

Ha! I was trying to be funny and it worked!! :)

Thnx for the great info. on the booties. We are Novice snorkelers and I wasn't sure about the sock booty thingies.

So we should look for shorter fins and they should be open heeled and we should buy some sock booties to go with them to cut down on the rocks hurting our heels, etc. Great info and I'm so glad I asked!!
Coden
hawksnestbay

Just wear water shoes....

Post by hawksnestbay »

...Instead of diving boots, just bring water shoes. They work perfectly with open backed fins, {long or short}, and they also work with hiking sandals {Waterlemon Hike}. [/b]
Coden

Post by Coden »

Hawknestbay - thanks fot that info. and what a money saver!! Woo-hoo...we all have water shoes.

Question - can we get away with only using the water shoes or is it imperative that we have fins?
Coden
hawksnestbay

Fins...

Post by hawksnestbay »

Our family are all very strong swimmers, and we still would not snorkle without fins. The fatigue factor is real, and if you start to swim in one direction, with the current, the return trip can be very tiring, against the current. Try them on with the water shoes, though. And try to break them in at your local pool. They are stiff when new.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Hawknestbay - I didn't think about strong currents etc., I think a trip to a sports store is in our future. There are a couple of them about an hour away so I guess we'll go and make a day of it in the big city and check out fins and vests. :)

Thnx!
Coden
Coden

Fin sizes...

Post by Coden »

Another question: Just in case we get lazy and dont' want to make the 1 hour drive to the nearest sports store and want to order our fins on-line instead. Are the sizes pretty much true? I wear an 8, so I buy a fin that is in that range? My son wears a 12 1/2 or 13...but if we buy fins in that range we s/b okay?

Is there really a need to actually try them on before buying them?

Thnx and Happy Hump Day!!!!
Coden
hawksnestbay

Fins

Post by hawksnestbay »

You really need to try them on. For fit and comfort. Width especially.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

I think this is the only place you can get the travel fins: http://www.island-scuba.com/c-scuba-sno ... -fins.html

Go to that site and look at them all, the Reef Tourer is the travel ones. Sizes are S, M. Lg...I got a large and they fit fine.
:D

Coden

Post by Coden »

CariBert - What normal shoe size do you wear? For me, a ladies size 8, it says to order the Med.

For the Large I would order that for the Men. Correct?
Coden