When will American Airlines make up its mind?

Travel discussion for St. John
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Hello,

As usual, we booked frequent flier tickets in January for our upcoming trip in November.

It is also normal for AA to change the schedule quite frequently. However, in the past, I never paid much attention because we were either landing in STT to catch the ferry to STJ (which run frequently and late) or flown to Tortola to stay. So, I checked the week before so I'd know what time to leave the house.

This year, we're flying into STT, but heading to Virgin Gorda for a week before St. John. The ferries to VG are not as frequent and do not run as late. Originally, we were landing in STT too late to catch the ferries, but the latest schedule has us arriving much earlier.

Any idea when American might freeze our schedule? I'm thinking mid-September for an early November flight?

And, no, I haven't tried to call them to ask; I'm figuring the phone folks won't really know

:? :?

thanks,
janet
Coden

Post by Coden »

Good question! AA has changed our flights home in December 4 times already. So now we are in a just wait and see status! :)
Coden
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Schedule changes with AA(and most carriers) are the norm...we have a few trips coming up and I get them at least every month or even every few weeks. Some are hours, some are minutes, some make me want to cancel. I expect them to occur up to departure and then I'll just cross my fingers and hope some fool doesn't try get on my flight with a water bottle...that could set the whole trip back hours...
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Thanks for some great advice.

We just booked w/USAir this past Saturday for December and on Sunday they emailed us a change in time. Just minutes, but this is a first for us.

Thanks again, I'll know now what to expect.

Jan (aka Charlie)
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

You're probably about right. AA changed my flight to Nassau several times this past summer. About 45 days before "wheels up", the schedule "locked in". If your schedule changes, make sure your seats hsven't changed.
max2mc

flights

Post by max2mc »

I booked with Delta back in early March for our trip leaving Wednesday November 8th and getting married November 10th. A month later some family were trying to get on the flight and called to tell me they couldn't find the flights. I called Delta and they said yea they had cancelled all Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday flights to St. Thomas and probably wouldn't add them back before trip :shock: . I asked when they had planned to notify me since I had already booked our villa,minister and etc. They said they probably wouldn't have called till October! :evil: I definetly learned my lesson to check the flight often. I had to reschedule everything for the week earlier, which was difficult sinceI was only dealing with Monday, Friday, Sat., and Sunday Flights. Now we leave October 30th, which is just that much closer :D
Barb

Re: When will American Airlines make up its mind?

Post by Barb »

jayseadee wrote:Hello,

As usual, we booked frequent flier tickets in January for our upcoming trip in November.

It is also normal for AA to change the schedule quite frequently. However, in the past, I never paid much attention because we were either landing in STT to catch the ferry to STJ (which run frequently and late) or flown to Tortola to stay. So, I checked the week before so I'd know what time to leave the house.

This year, we're flying into STT, but heading to Virgin Gorda for a week before St. John. The ferries to VG are not as frequent and do not run as late. Originally, we were landing in STT too late to catch the ferries, but the latest schedule has us arriving much earlier.

Any idea when American might freeze our schedule? I'm thinking mid-September for an early November flight?

And, no, I haven't tried to call them to ask; I'm figuring the phone folks won't really know

:? :?

thanks,

I found out that any of the airlines on a whim will change your flight number & even times. I went last year on AA & they changed it 5 times without emailing me or calling me. It was lucky each week or every two weeks that I would check. It shouldn't really be my place to call but for them or email me or call me which they didn't They even had to nerve to change it the week we were suppose to leave & wouldn't give us seats. I called said I booked this 6 months in advance why did you change it & give me the same seats? No answer from them so it better to call. Of course I was dealing with American Vacations but they would switch me over to AA. I do believe now like all of the airline carriers they do their business in India where they have no clue what is going on.JMHO :?
Barb
A Dream can be only a wish away
Barb

Re: When will American Airlines make up its mind?

Post by Barb »

Ron in South Texas wrote:You're probably about right. AA changed my flight to Nassau several times this past summer. About 45 days before "wheels up", the schedule "locked in". If your schedule changes, make sure your seats hsven't changed.
I wish that would be the case 45 days out you are safe to assume your flight # & time will remain the same but with AA last year they changed ours the week we were to go & no seats assigned. This wasn't the first time but the 6th time they changed & no emails or calls from them. I found out my pulling my reservations up. I call and asked for seats since they messed up my plans etc they could at least give me seats. She told me at the airport I had to do it. So when I went they said gave us seats on the two legs down but I had to get seats in STT but I had to get there 3 + hrs ahead of time as they only had 6 seats left. Made no sense since I booked in advance. Oh well no other way to the USVI so they got you. I really don't now like calling any of the airlines as most of the call centers are in India & they have no clue. MHO
Barb
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I'm glad this thread was started. I didn't realize how AA changed things like that.

After reading this thread, I checked my flight and it has been moved up 2 hours and the flight # changed! We don't fly until May, so I'm not going to stress over it now, AND I have travel insurance if they cancel it completely, but now I know to check my flight often.

I have also arranged for an airport shuttle to pick us up & drop us off. The way the flight stands now, they would be getting us to the airport just in time to watch our plane fly away!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Now I may be completely wrong about this, but I think I recall someone posting something to effect that they had their flight time or day changed by the airline and they checked the price at the time of change, and it was significantly less than what they paid when booked.
So they contacted the airline and asked about this and were given the lower price free of charge because it wasnt the buyer asking for a change, but the airline imposing the change.
It would be great if someone can confirm this for those out there monitoring their booked flights.
JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

The major airlines are publishing their final November schedules right now.

If you check sometime next week, your schedule should be pretty much locked in.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

AA did the same to me lastyear on a trip to STX. They changed the first leg down from JFK to SJU that would have caused me to miss the Am. Eagle connection. They didn't even rebook the connection. Fortunately I had booked through Travelocity, $10 more than booking on the AA web site. They dealt with the people in India for over an hour and got me to STX at my original arrival time. (I think they were across the street from each other.) The extra $10 was worth it.
Barb

Post by Barb »

tjwgrr wrote:The major airlines are publishing their final November schedules right now.

If you check sometime next week, your schedule should be pretty much locked in.
That is not always the case as I posted AA changed the flight number & time the week we were to leave. No seats or nothing if not for me checking I wouldn't have known they changed. The airlines do what they want. I have a flight with USAIR for Fl & they have changed that 10 times & I leave next Saturday & expect it to change again which I hope not but. I have tickets with USAIR in OCT for STT & the day after I booked it they email & said they change flight number no biggie. But as I was told by several major airlines they can change there schedules when they want to even up to the day before & even day of. You just never know. Best to keep checking instead of assuming any flight after Nov you are locked in. MHO
Barb
kimberlysea

Post by kimberlysea »

Just last week a friend of mine booked the AA flt out of JFK nonstop to STT. She lives in NJ and EWR would have been so much more convenient, but she wanted the nonstop. Gets to the airport and they cancel the flight because the flight was not full. They put her on the connection through San Juan. Finally gets to SJU and waits and waits and waits for the next flight to STT. Winds up no more flights to STT! All cancelled. They gave her a meal voucher and a hotel stay to get on a flight the next afternoon. All the morning flights were sold out. She was only going to STT for a long weekend - she wound up just staying in SJU since she would have only had a day and half in STT.

The airlines have all these "rules and regulations" when purchasing tickets, but they are never accountable. Ticks me off.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I chose to go out of PHL instead of EWR for a direct flight and of course it got changed! now going through Charlotte :roll: