BIG book recommendation!!!

Travel discussion for St. John
NoWorriesMom

BIG book recommendation!!!

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Hey all! Highly recommend the book <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 7DGE"><b>A Trip to the Beach</b></a> by Mel and Robert Blanchard. Although the story takes place on Anguilla it's a great way to spend time WAITing for a trip to the VIs. It reads almost like a long trip report :D
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

I read it a couple of years ago...have been dying to go ever since then. I did however manage to get my brother there for his honeymoon last June. They completely loved it. I'll know I'll get there someday...our daughter goes with us on the big trips and she loves STT/STJ so it'll be a while I think.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I'd been told to read that very book a few weeks ago (maybe on another board). I took it to STJ last week and had it read in 2 days. Then my wife picked it up and read it. then, we took it home and scanned all the recipes. The Blanchard's have a cookbook out too. It's a really fun book.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I was just looking at someone's honeymoon pictures from Anguilla and the girl was holding a book and all I could see was the word Beach on the cover. I bet that was it!
Thanks. Maybe I will get it for on island reading.

I have CuisinArt resort on Anguila on my to do list!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Yeah, I really like that book too. I left our tattered copy behind at Tarn last trip.

The recipe for the banana cabana drink is yummy! I have their cookbook on my amazon list also.

Another book in that vein you might like is "An Embarrasment of Mangoes." It's about a couple that sails from Canada to the Caribbean and back over about 2 years. They make a stop in St. John off Waterlemon Cay and have some freshly caught tuna for supper on their boat.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I am reading that one right now Liams Aunt! I haven't gotten to the St. John part yet though. It is an enjoyable book and made me cancel my dream of sailing south due to their struggles and experiences. I'll just have to convince my husband to buy a condo when the STJ real estate market slows down (ALOT!).
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

Thanks for the book suggestion...I am looking for something to read to pass the time while waiting for our trip next May...do you think I can stretch the book out that far?? :lol: :lol:
NoWorriesMom

I knew it !!

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Now I know why I love this forum, you think you're giving a little and you get a lot! Thanks for the other book suggestions. Next stop amazon.com and library :wink:
Anthony
Site Admin

And you can buy it here...

Post by Anthony »

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 7DGE"><b>A Trip to the Beach</b></a>

Thanks -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line