Dinghy Rentals

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Dinghy Rentals

Post by Coden »

TGIF to all and a happy long Labor Day weekend, too!!

Question on dinghies. I really want to rent one for a day. There are four of us ranging from 5' 8" to 6' 3". We are of avg to low weight. Do you think we can rent only one dinghy or will we need two of them? I'm worried about leg room.

Thnx oodles!! :)
Coden
Coden

Post by Coden »

Ooops, another question:

Can you rent a dinghy in Coral Bay and go around to Cruz Bay or go around to the North Shore Beaches and then come back to Coral Bay?

Or, should you rent one in Coral Bay and only hang out on that side of the island? Or visa-versus, rent one in Cruz Bay and only hang in that area or the North Shore area?

I'm not sure how rough the water is and if it is doable to go around the island in a dinghy.

Thnx!!
Coden
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I would say 4 tallish people might feel a little cramped in a dinghy. Some are bigger than others. Hubby, myself and our then 3 yo rented one and had plenty of space. W/o her, 2 other adults would have fit for sure, but probably wouldn't have been the most comfy arrangement.

As for going from Coral Bay to the north shore, I am pretty sure that's a no-no. We rented from Crabby's and they had a zone where we had to stay. Still there was plenty to see & I loved seeing that side of the island.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

The place in Cruz Bay (by the Beach Bar) rents two sizes - We only had two people in the smaller one and were fine, but I can't comment on four people. As far as where you can go, from Cruz Bay, you can go all the way to Waterlemon Cay, but not to Coral Bay. It sure does make for a fun day!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thnx Tracy - going around to Waterlemon from Cruz Bay will be a blast!!

Flip-flop - do you remember if you could take the dinghy from Coral Bay over to Salt Pond?
Coden
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Coden - I think we were pretty much limited to hurricane hole. I am not 100% sure though. You might want to check crabby's site. They were pretty responsive via email & phone when we were researching our options.

http://crabbyswatersports.com/
Coden

Post by Coden »

Flip-flop - thnx for the info. I think we'll rent a dinghy from each side, weather permitting, and just go to wherever they say we can go to. Seems like a nice inexpensive way to be out on the water! 8)
Coden
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

You will have a fantastic time. We LOVED it. Its nice and quiet on the Coral Bay side but also on the Cruz bay side its neat to see things from the water perspective.