With a weight belt
6%
Neither one
79%

Total votes: 48

Jan N.

Snorkeling poll

Post by Jan N. »

Here's an attempt at creating a poll. It should last for two days.
Jan N.
jmq

Post by jmq »

My family laughed at me when I used a ski belt to go around Waterlemon Cay, but when I got a bad foot cramp while swimming in the current on the far side, I was able to just lean back and work it out.
Would also consider use of a weight belt in calm areas after seeing how it enabled Bob & Anita get those awesome underwater shots they posted in their recent trip reports. I cant dive down and hold a position long enuff to take deeper shots.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Coden

Post by Coden »

Hmmm, another thought for us as we are new to snorkeling. So far we've only done it in a pool. Should we consider getting a belt or a vest?

Seems by the poll so far that most don't use either.
Coden
Mango

Post by Mango »

I'd vote if I could figure out how to do it.
Mango

Post by Mango »

Oops! Now I see it. :oops:
Amy

Post by Amy »

Coden, it depends on how strong the swimmers are in your family. My husband and I don't use a vest or belt, but my son who is not the best swimmer used a vest with great results. My sister-in-law also felt more comfortable with a vest since she got tired easily on long snorkels. I think this is something you can decide when you get down there, since you can always rent (or buy) a vest or belt if necessary.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I've never used a snorkel belt before, but after seeing Bob and Anita's pictures, I think I will bring one down next trip. I am always trying to get off a shot of whatever while fighting to stay down. John is better at picture taking than me because he can stay submerged longer.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks Amy for the vest info. I might just take a noodle and hang out on that. If that doesn't work then we'll check out the vests.
Coden
patr

Post by patr »

Husband uses a snorkel vest; I have built in floats, if you know what I mean. :roll:
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Coden

Post by Coden »

patr - Ha!! Good for you!!! Some of us aren't as lucky. LOL :lol:
Coden
Jan N.

Post by Jan N. »

[quote="Coden"]Hmmm, another thought for us as we are new to snorkeling. So far we've only done it in a pool. Should we consider getting a belt or a vest?
quote]

Remember, you will be in salt water, which makes you float "way better" than in a pool. Something to consider.
Jan N.
Jan N.

Post by Jan N. »

Let me try this quote again.
Coden wrote:Hmmm, another thought for us as we are new to snorkeling. So far we've only done it in a pool. Should we consider getting a belt or a vest?
Remember, you will be in salt water, which makes you float "way better" than in a pool. Something to consider.
Jan N.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Jan - Thnx for the reminder about the salt water and buoyancy of. :)
Coden
Adrienne

Floating is fun

Post by Adrienne »

The Caribbean is the only place have EVER seen my husband stay in the water as long as he does. He loves telling everyone how he always floats so well because of the high salt content. Its so cute because I have only every seen him get in and out of the water in other places (NJ, FL, CA...). :lol:
Coden

Post by Coden »

Adrienne - I'm taking my snorkel gear to Fla. with me in Sept. I doubt if I see much but it will be fun to practice. Plus I'm looking for the little creature that bit my ankle in May when I was down there...it was probably a little crab though, not a fish. :)
Coden