snorkeling

Travel discussion for St. John
neisy

snorkeling

Post by neisy »

We will be on St. John in April. We have done quite a bit of snorkeling and I was wondering if the snorkeling off the beaches is so good that we might not have to take a snorkeling day trip. We plan on going to several islands via the ferry for day trips.

Also we might want to rent a dinghy for the day and was wondering if they have motors. I know this might sound silly but I can't imagine having to paddle all day- got to save my arm strength for more important things, rum, pina coladas and some nice cold caribs!

Thanks!

Denise
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Yes, they have engines.
Here is a segment of video from the Noah's Little Arks pre-rental video that you may enjoy:

http://www.bluetangproductions.com/video/littlearks.mov

-Ruth
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

"I was wondering if the snorkeling off the beaches is so good that we might not have to take a snorkeling day trip"

Yes, it IS that good! Snorkeling day trips are great cuz you get out on the water but the snorkeing right off the beaches, especially Waterlemon Cay & Haulover Bay, is just as good as anything you can sail a boat to.

Yes, the dinghy's have motors.

And, there's is no such thing as a stupid question. Unless you are asking if Jorge and his crew will be getting nekkid on their next trip down.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

8) Yup the snorkeling is that good that you don't really need to do a day trip on a boat. The dingy is a really fun day and definitely get Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive. It's a MUST HAVE especially for your first trip. My guess is that you won't want to take a ferry to another island and lose one day on STJ. You must have a Jeep and snorkle gear and a sense of adventure. Be sure to do some hikes too. Some of the best beaches are ones that you hike to. You're gonna just LOVE STJ. Where are you staying? :D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

The snorkeling from the beach is amazing--you don't need to go out by boat at all, unless you want to. Some of our favorites are:

Haulover North for coral
Scott Beach for turtles
Waterlemon Cay for everything!

Definitely pick up feet fins and 4 wheel drive. It is a great resource.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Ditto on the above replies. I would also like to add that the snorkeling around the cays you can reach by dinghy is good too. Someone needs to help me on the names of the two off the North shore. Just be cautious of the current - it can be quite strong.

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
neisy

snorkeling

Post by neisy »

Wow! Thanks for all the great replies-love these travel forums!

We are staying at Villa Claudia. I have already reserved 2 4-wheel drives-there's 8 of us going, and am going to order the books you recommended.

I have snorkeled at the Indians and caves, Monkey Point, some little island off of Tortolla and several points in between on our last visit to Tortolla. We have also done Trunk Bay when we were there on a day trip from Tortolla.

This is our first time of staying on St. John and this board has been so helpful, everyone is so good about answering my questions. I know from my previous trips to the Virgin Islands and the BVI's that the information gained from experienced travelers makes for some awesome vacations.

Thanks again, and keep the tips a coming.

Denise
fran

Post by fran »

We've usually accessed, either by driving and/or hiking, most beaches. And yes, we are generally always pleased by the snorkling experience found right off STJ beaches. However, don't rule out the day trip! One good thing about those day-cruises is the benefit of having a private travel guide. We've not only gone to new places we had not heard of before, but we've also gotten local folklore / history / funny stories, and had other beaches / snorkle spots pointed out to us that we can return to later. Have fun!!!
fins-up fran
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

As other have said, the snorkeling right off of STJ beaches is awesome and will keep any avid snorkeler busy and satisfied; but snorkeling the Indians is in another universe. The Indians is off of Norman Island, BVI and worth a day drip in our opinion.

The Indians:
Bob & Anita