Speaking of beer...

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Speaking of beer...

Post by Coden »

What is it going to cost me to keep my three boys in beer for 10 days? This is for villa drinking, not going out to drink drink, that is a whole nother issue! LOL

I guess they'll be drinking Budwieser, and any local beer they can get. And what about dark beer, what brands are available?

Who on STJ has the cheapest case price?

I hate beer...never tasted one that was worth 2 cents. But that's just me! :wink:

Oh, and where can I buy gallons of drinking water? If we buy gallons then we can just refill our water bottles.

Thanks y'all for all of your help!! (((HUGS)))

p.s. I'm going out to dinner here soon so I'll let up on the questions! :lol:
Coden
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I don't know who posted this... I think it was Pia (or maybe it was FlaGeorge). I copied & pasted it into my notes, but I can't really refer you to the correct post, so I'm re-posting it:

"There is place in the Lumber Yard that sells ice cheap. We took the villa cooler (big sucker) and had it filled with ice. Cost was $3.00. I also think that they have filtered water - you bring your own container and they fill it up. St John Ice is in the Lumberyard and they sell cases of gallon water (4 gallons per case) for $4.00 and you can refill your empty bottles for $0.50 each - best bargin on the island."

P.S. Now that I think about it, I think that was a combination of two different posts that I put together. Hmmm. :?
Last edited by California Girl on Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Coden

Post by Coden »

AWESOME!!!! Thank you so much, I've just copied it and saved it to my notes. What a bargain!! Thank you!!
Coden
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Coden,
Mixology Warehouse can probably answer your beer questions.
Here is their website:

http://www.mixologywarehouse.com/

-Ruth
jmq

Post by jmq »

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I think my husband found the best beer prices on STJ at the Dolfin Market. He usually buys Heineken, Carib and Elephant if my memory serves me. You never know what the boat brings in so if you see a brand that you like you'd better grab it because the next time you go into town it probably won't be there. I never drink the nasty stuff myself.
Virginia-Gal

Post by Virginia-Gal »

Watch out for the Caribe beer.....it will knock you on your butt if you are used to drinking lite beer. We were on a catamaran cruise in March off of St Kitts and my hubby who normally drinks lite beer was wasted by the end of the excursion. We got back about 4 in the afternoon and he never got out of bed except to shower until the next morning. He says he still feels a little queasy when I show him a picture of himself drinking Caribe! :lol:
Always dreaming about my next Caribbean vacation!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thnx everyone for your help!! Looks like the Mixology Whse is the place we'll be shopping. And they have free delivery for orders over $100. Cool!
Coden
RickG

Beer Geek Responds

Post by RickG »

Last October 10 of us Beer Geeks were kept in beer/liquor and food for about $900 with only one dinner out. We usually plan for $100 per person per week.

As geeky as I am, I kept the recipts so that we could split the expenses at the end of the week. Carib was $26.99 a case for bottles. Heineken runs $24/case for cans. Mixology will tell you if you call (we did) - (340)714-5985.

We buy the standard brands from Mixology and call before we leave home to have them box it up for us. They have parking right out front. Dolphin Market has some cheaper prices on a few things. Starfish Market has some interesting beers, especially Foreign Extra Stout, that others do not stock - Ceres, ABC, Guiness FES (red cap in four packs).

The Foreign Extra Stout runs about 7.5% alcohol. The Carlsberg Elephant is about 6%. The Carib and the usual Bud/Miller/Coors are 4.7-5%. Light beers are 4.5-4.7%. So, Carib kicks your butt vs. Lite? You'd need a lab to detect the difference.

Yours in beer, RickG
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks Rick for the great info. We arrive on a Tuesday late afternoon, so I can see that Wed. will be our Stock Up day at the Mixology place and elsewhere. Also, thanks for the $ amount that the 10 of you spent. Since there are only 4 of us I doubt if we get anywhere near that. But you just never know!! :)
Coden
RickG

$100 per head

Post by RickG »

The $100 per head figure has worked well for us when the group is party-focused. When we go with my parents and the kids the number is lower because of the lower spend on beer and alcohol.

Cheers, RickG
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

jmq wrote:Image
Enough said.
Bob & Anita
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

You can get Bud at home... Drink...

Coden

Post by Coden »

I see that everyone's favorite is the Carib Lager...I'm sure the boys will do their best to put away as many as they can. :lol: Thanks for the heads-up on it!!
Coden