Brown Bay hike

Travel discussion for St. John
KenJ

Brown Bay hike

Post by KenJ »

How's the hike to Brown Bay for snorkeling?? The National Geographic Virgin Island map of STJ says 1.6 miles. I was wondering how the hike is from route 10 (near Hurricane Hole)I saw some underwater pictures posted by Bob and Anita that was taken there, and it looks like it might be worth checking out.I'm not sure if we are gonna do the dingy thing this coming April, but would be up for a hike if it wasen't to bad.Thanks!!
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

The hike to Brown Bay is shorter from the East End Road, only about 0.8 miles (one way). It's a very nice hike with lots of shade and cool large hermit crabs on top of the hill scurrying about. Also notice the abandon clothes from the illegal immigrant that are dropped off in the water and swim ashore – kinda creepy.

To get there as you come from Skinny Legs park on the left in a small dirt lot just past a small bridge (concrete if we remember correctly). Pick up the trail in the back of the parking lot and hike over the hill and down to Brown Bay.

We enjoyed the hike and Brown Bay. It doesn’t have the nicest beach, but it’s private, has shade and some nice snorkeling.
Bob & Anita
Coden

Post by Coden »

Is this biting off more than we can chew for a hike in one day?

Brown Bay Trail from Coral Bay over to Brown Bay and then on over to the Johnny Horn Trail and Leinester Bay Trail?

We would swim/snorkel at both Brown Bay and Waterlemon Bay.

The trick is getting back to Coral Bay because I'm sure the above would take an entire day?
Coden
polly

It's a hike!

Post by polly »

We have hiked the Johnny Horn trail- it is a hike, definitely take plenty of water. Probably easier to get a taxi to take you to Cruz Bay at Ananberg but don't count on a taxi taking you to Coral Bay from there. If you hike the reverse (waterlemon to Coral Bay) you can pick up a bus back to Cruz Bay. Just remember to take lots of water- the Johnny Horn trail is pretty dry and not much scenery. We did watch a couple of locals catching a goat. How they got their truck down there was pretty amazing!
KenJ

Post by KenJ »

Thanks for the info. I think we'll try the shorter hike (past Skinny Legs).
RickG

Leinster to Brown Bay and back

Post by RickG »

We routinely hike to Brown Bay from Leinster Bay. It's a great early morning hike of about 1 1/2 miles and has good views of the BVIs. The non-hikers in your group can meet you at Leinster Bay on your way back. If you have a vehicle, the hike from the East End Road is not a challenge.

Cheers, RickG
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thnx for the info., we'll have to try to work it out and either do the two hikes separetly, on diff. days, or something else, I don't know what right now. I think the 4 of us will want to do the hikes together so one of us driving the car somewhere doesn't really work.

The best is probably the Leinster Bay to the Johnny Horn to the Brown Bay and back to Leinster.

We'll see what pans out. It's all good!! :)
Coden