Hotels near the airport

Travel discussion for St. John
VaDavid

Hotels near the airport

Post by VaDavid »

Could someone list the hotels near the airport. I know there is a Best Western but which one has the nice little beach before you can take the road to the right. Thanks.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

You might be thinking of the Emerald Beach Hotel.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I think you might mean the Best Western Emerald Beach resort? It is right by the airport, and has its own beach. We've not stayed there, but we've talked with people who have and they were all pleased. I have been told that it has a really cute beach and it's not crowded at all.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Barb

Post by Barb »

liamsaunt wrote:I think you might mean the Best Western Emerald Beach resort? It is right by the airport, and has its own beach. We've not stayed there, but we've talked with people who have and they were all pleased. I have been told that it has a really cute beach and it's not crowded at all.
Yes, the Best Western has a nice beach as long as there are no weddings if so they close it to the guests & public. If you are staying just a night it is okay. But I have stayed there for 4 nights & it wasn't the greatest hotel. Rooms in bad shape, service very poor & on rude side unless they have changed since 2004. When I stayed there I had my arm in a arm brace & I asked nicely for someone to carry my luggage up no one would carry it up.So I had to lug it to room & I was on the third floor. As luck had it a nice young man who was carrying towels said he would carry it up for me. And yes I was nice to them & went out of my way to be friendly since I have been to STT before. I was woman traveling solo & went down for a couple of days & wanted to stay close to town.( this wasn't the first time traveling alone to Stt or other places) I arrived after check in & still had to wait 2 or more hours to get into my room & when I got to room it wasn't even cleaned so more time waiting. The room I stayed in had little or no water pressure to take a shower, barely enough hot water when in shower. Paper thin walls but it had a great view. You might say well you didn't pay very much so it was okay. I don't call $250 a night cheap & I didn't go in high season. But this is my view & if only for one night it would be okay but not for a extended lenght of saty in my opinion. :?
Barb
A Dream can be only a wish away
isla_jen

Post by isla_jen »

We almost stayed at Emerald this last trip for our 1 night before St. John. We chickened out because of our awful experience with Best Western Carib Beach across the way and even closer to the airport. Gross does not even begin to describe our experience. The staff were horrible, they called crazy taxi drivers for you because they got a tip on the side-I'm talking real crazy, hearing voices in my head crazy and the rooms were run down and very dirty and grungy. The in-room fridge was full of mold too.

If you can handle a night away from the water (it was real hard for us) The Green Iguana is nice, clean and very cheap.

~Jen