Villa locations on island - need expert help!

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Villa locations on island - need expert help!

Post by PA Girl »

We are a mom, dad and a 16-month old planning our 6th trip to St. John.

In prior years, we stay over on the North Shore but because of our mobile little guy, we are "kicked out" of our favorite rental villa.

I found several villas located in the following areas:

Constant Point
Pt. Renedezvous
Fish Bay
Chocolate Hole

I am not familar with the rental areas on the south side of the island.

Can you all offer any information?

What areas did you like or dislike? And why?

Any particular area work well for your family?

While we like the east end, the Coral Bay area is out because of the distance from the shadier beaches. (We broiled at Salt Pond last year.)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We've stayed on Contant Point (Argonauta) and Fish Bay/Rendevous (Golden Dragon). We liked both very much. Contant is closest to town. Fish Bay is more remote, but still not too far from town. Chocolate Hole has lots of villas to choose from, but of the houses we've looked at we've found better views elsewhere.

Which villas are you considering?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Constant Point - not as familiar with this area but I believe it is very close to Cruz Bay.

Chocolate Hole - pretty close to Cruz Bay. Right after you pass the Westin you have Chocolate hole which is on the right side lower to the water. Chocolate hole hillside is to the left of the road and is a higher up and thus has great views. We've stayed in both Choc Hole and Choc Hillside and both are great. Maybe 5-10 minutes to get to your villa from Cruz Bay.

Pt. Renedezvous - I am guessing that this is the area above Rendezvous Bay which is next on the way out of Cruz Bay after Chocolate hole.

Fish Bay - pretty far out of Cruz Bay. We stayed in
Reef Bay. Still it was only about 20 minutes. I would, personally, avoid Fish or Reef with a little one. The road is quite rough (or was in 2003) and I would not want to be that far out of town.

Sorry wish I could be more helpful.
PA Girl

Villas

Post by PA Girl »

We are in the beginning phase. Because of our son, we had originally decided on a resort on a different island. But now we changed our mind as we can't stand the thought of not going to St. John.

We are way late in planning for February 2007. I am nervous we aren't going to find a decent rental. At least one, possibly two other couples will be travelling with us so we are looking for a 2 to 3 bedroom house with a pool. Hubby is very picky when it comes to quality/condition. The place doesn't need to be super deluxe, just well maintained and clean.

I am looking at Cara Mia, Calypso Cove, Calicaribe, and Treasure Ridge. I started with Destination St. John but will be looking into other agencies.

I would love any other ideas from the forum.
Randy in MD

North Shore Beaches - Coral Bay

Post by Randy in MD »

My wife and I stayed in Coral Bay on our last 2 trips. We found that getting to the North Shore beaches was somewhat easier from there than in some of the locations you've listed. It's really only about 15 minutes to go from Coral Bay up to the Smoothie Stand, make a right, and end up on Maho. It's about the same to Francis. And if you want to go to one of the other North Shore beaches, it's such a pretty drive from there. Just my 2 cents worth...
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

You might want to look at cygnus we have stayed there twice great villa if you are looking for water front you can walk down and snorkle right out in front Or Allasandra if you want a hillside with unbeliviable view and a out standing villa stayed there twice twice too would be going back there but our group is to big for Jan. So we will be staying at Cygnus web site
http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/cygnus/cygnus.html
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Point Rendezvous, particularly those villas up on the hillside, have a fabulous view of pretty much the entire southern coast to Ram's Head. The road is paved all the way; it becomes a dirt road just past Point Rendezvous, leading to the Fish Bay area. We stayed in Lost Horizon, offered by Great Caribbean Getaways, and had a very good experience. It has 3BR, but the third (we didn't need but two) was said to be a little damp. Small but nice pool, hot tub, and did I mention a fabulous view?

Robin