RickG's group travel rules for St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
mfaughey

Re: RickG's group travel rules for St. John

Post by mfaughey »

So funny and true!
brenda wrote:People who get it know that STJ is basically the omelet of vacations.
jmq

Post by jmq »

54b wrote: Rick, perhaps you or someone else can make a list on how to truly spot a whiner or how to spot someone who would be or wouldn't be right for STJ. I think it's harder than people think. I have plenty of friends that seem perfect for STJ (outgoing, inclusive, positive, active, etc.) and yet, when it comes to vacations, they go for the all-inclusive, barely lift a finger resort and would be the people that say "I need a vacation from my vacation" after staying on STJ.
This would be a fascinating topic, especially among those who thought they did their due diligence but still had issues with folks they brought along to STJ even if they employed some of Ricks tactics to mitigate conflicts and whining.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jmq

Post by jmq »

RickG wrote: Lessons learned:
- 10 people feels much bigger than 8 people - 60% bigger: c=(n^2-n)/2
54b wrote: And i loved your "whiner coefficient" although I abhor math about as much as a lot of people abhor itineraries :D
(8^2-8)/2 = 28 and (10^2-10)/2 = 45, so 62.2% bigger to be exact.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
brenda

Post by brenda »

54b wrote:
brenda wrote:People who get it know that STJ is basically the omelet of vacations. When it's all said and done, it's awesome and the trip of a lifetime, but you're going to get messy doing it and you might as well embrace the mess (whether the mess is heat, rain, mosquitos, sand, tardy restaurant service, a check engine light, a delayed flight, leaky mask, or a bird perched next to your bedroom that goes "BEEEE-YYYYOOOOUUUUU" all night long

54B, this quote is the best and texted this to the newbie that I am taking in November. I'm hoping that she is low maintenance! I took another newbie last year and she was the best! Not all folks are as fortunate to frequent STJ like we are and are just happy to be there :).
Nice, Brenda, love to know how your newbie friend responded to the text. I'm sure she was like, "um, do you want me to go on this trip or not?" :D

Vacationing on STJ is so hard to describe to the uninitiated. They always look at me like I just described a trip to the endodontist as being "the best root canal ever."

She said she usually takes things in stride :) Time will tell, but I think she is just glad to be going to the Caribbean and said she is looking forward to my being her guide. Girls trip, woot! What's not to like?
Going "home" again October 26th!
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Tracy in WI wrote:
I'm doing my best to not end up being Julie McCoy from The Love Boat for a week!
Oh, you will be Tracy... You will be!!! :lol: :lol: :shock: ... Set the whiners straight RIGHT NOW!!!!
Capn Dan and Ruby

With our group, there is one "cruise director" they pick every thing and all others dare not complain... cruise director is hard work and the person with the job is respected :D . We have discounted some whiners and have labeled them un-inevitable! :twisted:
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Hi Rick,
Karen and I are going to the island in October with 8 'newbies' - our first time with a group. Most have been to the island before, but only on day trips. Most of us have vacationed together before so I think we will be fine.

I have just made this thread 'required reading' before the trip. I plan on quizzing everyone the next time we are all together. Can you help with some good multiple choice or true/false questions for the test? :D :!:

-John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
54b

Post by 54b »

Capn Dan and Ruby wrote:With our group, there is one "cruise director" they pick every thing and all others dare not complain... cruise director is hard work and the person with the job is respected :D . We have discounted some whiners and have labeled them un-inevitable! :twisted:
Ha-ha, nice...we call ours the "Minister of Transportation" - instead of an iron fist, I rule with a lead foot...on the accelerator.

"Stop burning my daylight you land lubbers."
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Capn Dan and Ruby wrote:With our group, there is one "cruise director" they pick every thing and all others dare not complain... cruise director is hard work and the person with the job is respected :D . We have discounted some whiners and have labeled them un-inevitable! :twisted:
I am the "Cruise Director" of our group. Because I wanted to make sure we all got there together - we booked our flights using a travel agent - it actually came in handy...AA changed our flight last week to something that was unacceptable and it was so nice to be able to call the travel agent and say "You have a problem...". She was able to get us all rebooked on a different flight. I can't imagine trying to get all the tickets rebooked myself....aarrgghhh!

Just wondering? What is the punishment if 'others dare to complain'? :D

-John
- John Burroughs
vickeryhill

Post by vickeryhill »

Having organized multiple trips (wedding, anniversary, couples-friends) to Great Expectations on St Johnhttp://greatexpectationsusvi.com, I could not agree more with RickG's 'rules'. Obviously, a wedding is a special case anywhere, but when you add in the confines of a small island with limited transportation, amazing views and local "island time" attitudes, your friends/family's nature really shines (or darkens).

My favorite rule is #9 and its referral back to #1: One person needs to be in charge of setting theses rules and if people don't want to play - trust him/us, they won't enjoy the trip anyway - don't invite them.

The biggest part i have seen is the expectation setting. It is all sun and fun and beach, but people have different dreams of what their island vacation will be.

We like to have one person from 2 couples go to grocery store and buy staples (eggs, milk, juice, water, fruit, meat, sandwich stuff, rum, mixers, etc) and then everyone chips in. If you want something else, buy it on your next trip to the market.

Our common theme has alway been "the villa is home base. when in doubt, sit in the pool and relax with something cold in your hand".
Capn Dan and Ruby

I am the "Cruise Director" of our group. Because I wanted to make sure we all got there together - we booked our flights using a travel agent - it actually came in handy...AA changed our flight last week to something that was unacceptable and it was so nice to be able to call the travel agent and say "You have a problem...". She was able to get us all rebooked on a different flight. I can't imagine trying to get all the tickets rebooked myself....aarrgghhh!

Just wondering? What is the punishment if 'others dare to complain'? :D

-John[/quote]

John, I have never used a travel agent... dumb questions... What do you do? Do they charge the person using them? Do you get good deals?

Answer to your question... They don't return with us :twisted: ... This happened with a couple once, and a single once. They don't travel with us any more. We usually (but not always) travel with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. She has been the cruise director twice for us and I was the cruise director for our last trip. They are easy as they know "what is up". :D
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

I usually don't use a travel agent. I do if we cruise because I have found that I always get a better deal on a cruise through an agent.

I used a travel agent this time for the flights because I did not want to be the one worried about getting 10 people to the island. I generally buy my plane tickets well in advance and more often than not the flight schedule changes and we have to rebook. I knew that with 10 people it would be hard to get everyone rescheduled if there was an unacceptable flight change. My agent charged us each an extra $25 for the plane tickets - because we weren't booking 'vacations' with hotel, car, etc... In this case it was well worth the money. Generally speaking, you do not save any money on a plane ticket with a travel agent unless it is part of a package deal.

I am responsible for getting the house, jeeps, etc... I also will have a shopping list well in advance of leaving and use the RickG method for paying for everything. Another perk of being the cruise director is that I get to choose which beach to go to... Of course, everyone can make their own decisions and go in a different direction but more often than not they will follow me. Occasionally, they call me 'bossy' (or worse!) but I don't care...I just tell them that they can make all the arrangements on our next trip-that usually shuts them up!

I fully realize that this trip in October is going to be much different from my yearly 2-week May trip which is just my wife and I but if we did not do this I was going to be stuck on a cruise and I did not want to go on a cruise - It was actually cheaper for the group to go to STJ and rent a 5 bedroom villa than go on a cruise.

I really don't think we are going to have any problems. We have all been friends for a long time. We have eaten dinner together as a group every friday night at the local mexican restaurant for 15 years and we have all vacationed together several times.

I am actually excited to share St. John with them. They have all been to Trunk Bay (from the cruise days) but I can't wait to share the rest of the island. I am looking forward to taking them to Vie's, Little Lameshur, Aqua Bistro for Ponzu Tuna, swim with turtles at Maho, and most especially to meet Larry at the Tourist Trap.

John
- John Burroughs