Skyflower 2013 Trip Report - Part 4 (Thurs))

Travel discussion for St. John
dreamshark

Skyflower 2013 Trip Report - Part 4 (Thurs))

Post by dreamshark »

THURSDAY July 18, 2013 - Wayward Sailor

Now we get to the day that is both the high and low point of the trip. In 2009 we took a wonderful snorkel cruise that I kind of wanted to do again, so I took this opportunity to book the Wayward Sailor for the 4 of us. Capt. Phil is an awesome free diver, underwater photographer and amateur naturalist who loves to share his passion for snorkeling with his passengers. And we had 2 enthusiastic new snorkelers plus a couple of old ones that needed a refresher. So this seemed like the perfect trip for us. And it would have been, if it hadn't been for
(1)the all-day blustery rain, (2)one passenger who is uncomfortable snorkeling in rough water, (3)another who is prone to sea-sickness, and (4)another who was recovering from a bout of food poisoning.

Not suffering from any of the last 3 conditions, I had a lovely time. I enjoyed seeing Capn Phil's octopus and sea cucumber pictures again, needed the refresher on how important it is to scrub your snorkel mask squeaky clean to avoid mask fog, and loved the chance to snorkel off a boat into deep water. The others had varying degrees of difficulty due to the afore-mentioned problems, but everybody agreed that this was the best snorkeling of our vacation. We saw big southern rays followed by a small swarm of smooth trunkfish, which was fascinating. I love trunkfish, but had only seen them as solitary flying steam irons trundling over the sandy bottom. We saw a porcupinefish hiding under a rock, some big angelfish, a stunning pair of queen triggerfish, and large schools of various types teenage fishies swimming past each other in opposite directions. But best of all, two days after putting on a snorkel mask for the first time, Amber learned to free dive! I was very proud of her - she's so strong and fearless!
Capt. Phil
Capt. Phil
Amber learns to free dive
Amber learns to free dive
Contemplating the pure white light of oblivion
Contemplating the pure white light of oblivion
Into port, through whitecaps and driving rain
Into port, through whitecaps and driving rain
I had realized a few days before this that I was starting to get the hang of the Aqualung fins. The secret seemed to be to bend my knees more while snorkeling, pulling the fins down underneath me a bit, forward, and back to scoop the water. It's hard to explain, but I spent a lot of time watching Phil, and he was using a similar technique when he was at the surface. You do something entirely different when diving, of course.

We finished up the day with hot showers all round and then a quick supper at Skinny Legs.
Dinner at Skinny's
Dinner at Skinny's
jenxogirl

Re: Skyflower 2013 Trip Report - Part 4 (Thurs))

Post by jenxogirl »

I wondered how you all fared on that stormy day! I am glad to hear you got to enjoy it!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Learning to free dive on a stormy day day-sail is the epitome of making lemonade out of lemons :) It looks like the kids "get it," and you may not have to travel alone after all! I'm enjoying the heck out of your reports. Keep em coming :)
mkb

Post by mkb »

I love Captain Phil! Sorry you didn't have a better day for your sail. But you ended the day at Skinny's -- can't beat that! Enjoying your trip reports.