Tree Top Hideway

Travel discussion for St. John
slf144

Tree Top Hideway

Post by slf144 »

Does anyone have experience with this rental. It looks a little primitive. We have stayed at Maho, Concordia, and the concrete cabins at Cinnamon bay. So we can ruff it. I just want to make sure it is safe and clean. Anyone have any information on this rental.
dreamshark

Re: Tree Top Hideway

Post by dreamshark »

Wow, that looks like a great deal! (adding to my spreadsheet, Cheapo tab). Here's what I take from the VRBO listing:

PRO: Great location, wonderful screened porches and sun decks, high enough altitude that lack of A/C shouldn't be an issue. Brand new, so should be in good shape. Full kitchens, at least in some units. Probably extremely private if you rent the whole thing or the other units are not rented out. Owners sound really nice.

CON: No Internet. No water view. Limited privacy if other units are occupied by strangers. Stairs to get to the units.

Things to ask about. Parking! No matter what the listing says, you WILL need a car. Some of the properties on Costanzo Road have limited parking canted at a terrifying angle. I would inquire about that before renting. The exact rates from season to season are unclear from the listing (but it looks like the highest rate for the largest cabin is only $825/week, which is about as cheap as it gets on St. John).
slf144

Post by slf144 »

Dreamshark Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your insight. I would love to hear from someone who has actually stayed there or has seen the place. We always rent a car to get around so that is not an issue.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

This place is currently for sale. The listing says it was built in 2013, so you may be hard pressed to find many reviews of it or people who have stayed there other than the reviewers on VRBO. I would guess that some locals from the forum may know more about it or have seen it in person.
Are those shipping containers that it's made from?
Tickerless :(
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

"Are those shipping containers that it's made from?"

Yup. There is an article about this place in the June 30th, 2013 issue of Tradewinds (log-in required), although the voice is that of a realtor trying to sell it.

All the best,

Kevin
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

I saw this place when it was only 3 containers. Before the stairs and decks were added. I can tell you that the parking is adequate and flat. There are a lot of steps. The pictures of the roof were taken from the parking area.
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

the owner is a complete ass.....
My Avatar is my Corona moment......