Snorkeling with Rays: My Safety Tips

Travel discussion for St. John
Robin in NC

Snorkeling with Rays: My Safety Tips

Post by Robin in NC »

First, let me say that I don't mean to offend anyone who liked Steve Irwin. His death was a tragedy and a real loss. (By the way, we use the word "tragedy" too loosely. Being killed in a freak accident is a tragedy; getting drunk and stepping in front of a bus is just stupidity.) But I digress from my important public service message.

It's important that you realize these tips come from an experienced snorkeler. I snorkeled one time, in the incredibly dangerous environment that brings cold chills to fish lookers everywhere: Trunk Bay. Therefore I am An Expert. So, for all of you on the forum - and especially for the children - here are my tips. Be safe out there.

HOW TO SNORKEL SAFELY WITH RAYS ON ST. JOHN

1. Don't bring a videographer along. The ray might have been expecting to meet a 12-year-old he met in a chat room and now thinks you're going to put him on Dateline.

2. Wear an authorized surf shirt. Rays will appreciate your professionalism, and leave you alone.

3. If you are startled by a ray, don't say, "Crikey!" I don't know if it bothers the ray or not, but I hate it.

4. If you call it "St. Johns", rays will hunt you down. And good for them.

If I've saved a life, it was all worth it.

Robin
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Robin - Although I have a sick sense of humor and I think this is pretty funny & creative (you should add 6 more and send it to David Letterman!) I bet you're going to get blasted for this one! LOL! :lol:

I'll sit back and wait to see the next postings! 8)
Last edited by California Girl on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bert

Post by bert »

Rays are related to sharks. When snorkeling with them, take a briefcase with you. Sharks may mistake you for an attorney and leave you alone out of professional courtesy.

peace.... bert