What’s your favorite villa gravity day island drink

Travel discussion for St. John
Agent99

Re: What’s your favorite villa gravity day island drink

Post by Agent99 »

Well, I gave it my best effort. Couldn't wait for the week-end so Wed. night i made up the marinade and put 3 skin-on split chix breasts in to soak overnight. Here's what makes me a second stringer when it comes to cooking. Becky would instinctively know how much of each ingredient to add to make it perfect.

The marinade:

About a cup of tequila
3 TBS Cruz Bay Grill Rub
Juice of one lime - did not use the skin
3 TBS Jalapeño slices
Handful of cilantro
Around a cup of olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Marinated overnight.

I seared it on the outdoor grill and then because it was so damn cold I finished it in the oven at 375 for another 45 minutes. It was perfectly cooked and the skin was delish. The meat was juicy. The guys thought it was great. They are just very grateful and appreciative when I try. The skin was the best part. I wish I had put in way more jalapeño and cilantro because the cilantro was lost and the only place I could taste heat was in the skin. Oh well, it gave us a little taste of STJ. I know this could be improved.

We did not do the spicy margs yet. That needs to wait for the week-end. Here are a couple pics of the effort.

Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I think if I had taken Becky's advice to make a chutney then we could have gotten the cilantro/jalapeno kick that was missing. Next time.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Wow! Inspirational,and so cool to give it a shot on the grill during this long cruddy winter!
I'm gonna have to give it a whirl now. Except I don't like the flavor of cilantro...
Hmmm....ideas aside from just plain old parsley?
Good for you for undoubtedly getting a step closer to perfecting this here dish!
Smiles-
MJ
PS-
You officially have me jonesing for a margarita now...
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Thanks Jim! If you don't like cilantro I would just amp up the hot peppers and I would add a second lime. Even tho I crushed up the jalapeño the heat did not make it past the skin and even there it was really subtle. Maybe I should have pierced holes in the chicken to get the marinade through the meat.

One thing I will note is that I added olive oil and I wonder if that was a good idea because in the fridge overnight it sort of solidified the marinade a little. I thought the tequila would keep that from happening and maybe if I had used more it would have. You try it and let us know. Even though it wasn't my vision it was really tasty.

Maybe a skinless, boneless, pounded breast would be easier to get the flavor through. That would definitely call for a chutney like Becky suggested. My favorite part of chicken is the crispy skin so I always succumb to the unhealthy temptation!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

And BTW, found a very reasonably priced silver tequila called Camarena. A little smoky flavor. Not bad at all! Getting ready to try Becky's spicy marg!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Might I suggest a chile guava margarita? Muddled jalapeño, tequila, Cointreau,guava juice, lime juice, oj. Fruity and spicy!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

In rereading this thread,what is in the adult pink lemonade, Liamsaunt?
I still need to try your cilantro infused margarita. I feel like we are kindred spirits with the herb infused cocktails!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Snagit Capture by SHOEMAK38, on Flickr
CHStoSTT

Post by CHStoSTT »

Where do you find mint on the island? I have looked at several places but without success.
psufan

Post by psufan »

I have found mint at Starfish. The bonus is that it was from Josephine's so if you are in Coral Bay you can probably get it from her. We like to make plain old fashioned mojitos.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

DonnaM wrote:In rereading this thread,what is in the adult pink lemonade, Liamsaunt?
Sorry, I just noticed this now. It could not be easier. Muddle three lemons, sliced, and a bunch of mint in a large pitcher. Add in thawed pink lemonade concentrate and water according to the package directions. Stir and leave to steep for a couple of hours. When ready to serve add in vodka (around 1-1/12 cups for a pitcher's worth of lemonade) and serve over ice.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

liamsaunt wrote:
DonnaM wrote:In rereading this thread,what is in the adult pink lemonade, Liamsaunt?
Sorry, I just noticed this now. It could not be easier. Muddle three lemons, sliced, and a bunch of mint in a large pitcher. Add in thawed pink lemonade concentrate and water according to the package directions. Stir and leave to steep for a couple of hours. When ready to serve add in vodka (around 1-1/12 cups for a pitcher's worth of lemonade) and serve over ice.
Thanks!! I will be on island next week with 2 cousins so we will definitely try this!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Okay time to start a corresponding appetizer thread
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

mahojim wrote:This one's a no brainer!!!
Painkiller's! ( I think we all know what's in those...) On my Sweet Amy's first trip down, we decided to make Painkiller's with Cruzan 151. After her 4th, she literally OOZED off of the bar stool on Plumeria's deck. I helped her up, and to the bathroom so she could "get rid of it...",and held her hair out of the way while she apologized profusely. When she was through, she said, quite simply & without missing a blink, "I'm sorry honey, I can't have another one..." Then quickly,-"let's do margarita's..." Maybe tmi, but I thought it was hysterical. Knew I had a gamer!
Or ice cold beer...
Or Cruzan Dk & Coke...
Then again, bloody Mary's are always nice in the morning...or a screwdriver...
Or Cruzan Black Cherry and Lemonade...
Made daquiri's with dk & pineapple Cruzan, strawberry puree, ice, splash of oj;- blend! Splendid!
Or Corona-rita's...
Sorry, I'm all over the place. With so many wonderful memories, it leaves one with
so many choices! Maybe a harder question than I thought... :lol:
It seems like forever since we've been there. At this point I'd be happy sipping on a warm can of Budweiser mixed with sea water to see Amy's beautiful smile next to me down there...
Smiles-
MJ
Great story Jimmy!! We might have to add to that list when you come down here later this year!!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

bump :shock: