Car Barge Update

Travel discussion for St. John
kklay

Car Barge Update

Post by kklay »

Hello All, thought I would do some checking on the status of the car barge. Are all three operating? I thought I had read somewhere about one of the barges being out for repair. We will be on island in about 10 days. Any info would be helpful!.
Chas

Re: Car Barge Update

Post by Chas »

There is currently no car barge service every half-hour.

Boyson, which used to offer barge service every hour on the half-hour, is currently operating just one barge ("Mr. B") with no estimate of if, or when their other barge ("The General"), will return to service. The (relevant) schedule for Boyson's "Mr. B." is:

Red Hook (St. Thomas) to Cruz Bay (St. John): ...12:05PM. 1:30PM, 3:30PM, 5:30PM, 6:30PM (that's what Boyson says although that last time does not compute so be careful)

Cruz Bay (St. John) to Red Hook *St. Thomas): 6AM, 7AM, 8:05AM, 930AM and 1130AM...

The other two barge companies which each operate one barge share the "hourly" slot, but often one or the other are down for maintenance (and one does not operate on Sundays).

We recommend to our guests that they rent vehicles on St. John; the passenger ferry runs every hour on the hour up to and including Midnight.
kklay

Post by kklay »

Thanks for the reply and update. We already have our vehicle rented on St. Thomas and will plan accordingly.
Chas

Post by Chas »

On the Captain Vic. Roanoke tied up at dock in Cruz bay not moving; welding. Good luck!
kklay

Post by kklay »

More good info, however that's my favorite! I believe it has the palm tree on it! Hope they weld fast!
vwknox

Post by vwknox »

Heading over in a couple of days and I was wondering if anyone had an update on the car barge status and a current schedule of ferrys operating on week days.