How's the weather this week?

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

How's the weather this week?

Post by michigan girls »

I am now a week out, so it's time for me to start obsessing about every little thing. Question of the day - How's the weather this week? Always wonder about rainy days the week before my trip, in case of mosquito bloom.
Coconuts

Re: How's the weather this week?

Post by Coconuts »

MG: It's a mixed bag. Last week included the first significant rain in a while; one bad beach day, but a relief to the cisterns. Forecasts of Sahara dust are near zero, but the visibility for some reason is a bit hazy. Today was overcast with the threat of rain, which didn't happen; by late afternoon, the skies had cleared. No major or even minor approaching weather is visible on the satellite images. No obvious insect issues. I can update this post as the week progresses.

All the best,

Kevin
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Thanks Kevin, an update as the week progresses would be awesome.

I am all packed and my bags are sitting by the door. If I have to add some more OFF wipes if more rain shows up, I imagine I could make those fit (but not much else).

If I didn't love my own fins so much, carry on only would be so much easier.
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

I'm packed too, michigan girls! I even convinced boyfriend to take out the suitcase and start throwing clothes in its general direction. Kevin, thanks very much for the weather update, I'll also be watching this thread the rest of the week!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

nikkiki wrote:I'm packed too, michigan girls! I even convinced boyfriend to take out the suitcase and start throwing clothes in its general direction. Kevin, thanks very much for the weather update, I'll also be watching this thread the rest of the week!
you and Michigangirls will have to keep it up next week 8)
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

No wifi at our "budget" villa, but I'll do my best! And I'm taking notes this time for a trip report - hopefully complete with beautiful photographs from my travel buddy!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

shoemak38 wrote: you and Michigangirls will have to keep it up next week 8)
I'll be posting some short trip updates every night, as long as the wifi cooperates :-) I'll be sure to address the weather!

nikkiki - where are you staying?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

It's been perfect since Saturday!!!
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

mg, we're at the Banana Cabana in Coral Bay. Where are you staying? Hoping we'll run into you on the reef bay hike, but if you see a redheaded couple before then, please come say hi!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

nikkiki wrote:mg, we're at the Banana Cabana in Coral Bay. Where are you staying? Hoping we'll run into you on the reef bay hike, but if you see a redheaded couple before then, please come say hi!
Banana Cabana is on my list of possible future villas, looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

We're staying at Giovanna's Garden, in Calabash Boom.

You're booked for the reef bay hike on Thursday, right? Are you going to Miss Lucy's for Innervisions that night?
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

michigan girls wrote:
You're booked for the reef bay hike on Thursday, right? Are you going to Miss Lucy's for Innervisions that night?
Let us know how this hike is it's on our maybe list for April 28 or May 1 wait that's May Day :shock:
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

The Reef Bay hike is actually full for the 2 days they are offering it while we're on island. I'm on the waiting list for both days, but we might hike it ourselves on our last day if it doesn't work out. I would like to go to Miss Lucy's - we're sharing a car with another couple so I'll have to convince everyone to come or make arrangements.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Hindsight being 20/20, I hereby pronounce this week's weather as "essentially perfect". Clear and dark blue skies with fluffy white clouds sculling from east to west, refreshing breezes, low 80's in the day; low 70's at night, clear evening skies with several planets and a waxing moon, and the occasional patter of a late night shower on the metal roofs while we are snug in our bed.

One small issue from my end is a bit of haze, such that Vieques and El Yunque can't be made out. I would blame Sahara dust, but the dust forecast site (http://forecast.uoa.gr/LINKS/DUST/dust. ... onc&lan=en, and then press "Play") says that isn't the culprit. Perhaps it is simply water vapor. I had hoped for crystal clear air, to let me do some panorama photography, but that's no biggie in the grand scheme.

[Edit: Natch, after a gorgeous week, today has been more clouds than sun. No rain to speak of, though. Blue sky just returned (5 PM).]

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

you are coming home to high 60's low 70's on Monday :D
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Michigan on Monday has snow in the forecast :shock:

As long as it doesn't delay my Tuesday morning flight, I don't care :D