Grande Bay parking ???

Travel discussion for St. John
philbetm

Grande Bay parking ???

Post by philbetm »

Hi All ,
Figure there are some out there that can help me with this question. Hubby and I are staying at Grande Bay soon for the first time . I have heard mixed comments about the parking spaces there...just how "small" are they ? Could we easily park a 4 door Wrangler in one of them...or...should we try to stick to the smaller 2 door ? Got to make a decision in the next couple days.

Thanks, Sherry :D
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Tracy in WI

Re: Grande Bay parking ???

Post by Tracy in WI »

Hi Sherry,

You will be able to park a four door vehicle at Grande Bay. Some spaces are a little more tight than others, just use your mirrors and take your time.

Many people park four door jeeps in the lot and even back into their spaces - I'm not that talented. It may be helpful to have one person get out of the vehicle to direct you the first few times.

Enjoy Grande Bay!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

Hi Sherry, we just returned from a stay in one of Tracy's units at Grande Bay, and we rented a 4-door Wrangler during our stay. The parking space that we had was at the very end of the garage. It's not so much that the spaces themselves are tight, it's more an issue that the main "lanes" through the garage are very narrow, leaving little room to swing wide before turning into the space itself.

The first time I parked, I decided to go in nose-first. The result was a 13-point turn that finally got me into the space. I had my 17 year old daughter "spot" me so I didn't clip any of the columns.

The next time, I decided to back in to the spot and it went much, much easier. I still used my spotter, and had to straighten up and adjust a couple times. By the third time of coming and going, I had figured out the best approach and from then on it was no big deal.

If it's just the two of you, I'd suggest sticking with the 2-door jeep. Parking that would be a piece of cake, not to mention that it's a whole lot easier to navigate the roads and the parking areas at the beaches with the shorter wheelbase.

Hope this helps!
silands

Post by silands »

I've rent the 4door and yes there tight but if you back in you will be find no more space then around town and the beaches
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

All of the info shared has been very helpful for the decision making... :) ...Thanks !!

Sherry
" I believe there's Magic here...."
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

Follow up question on Grande Bay Parking. We are considering GB for our upcoming trip and if we can convince our friends to come, we would look into a 3 bdrm unit. That would involve 2 rental cars though - 1 for each family.

I presume that all units - including the 3bdrms - only come with one parking spot. Is there a way to get a 2nd parking spot at GB (for a price) or are there any other parking options near there? If not, what's the alternative....making a deal with Slimman for the week?
kklay

Post by kklay »

A couple of years ago we were able to work out a deal for a few days to allow us to have two parking spaces when we had rented a 3 bedroom. Not sure who you are renting from but it never hurts to ask!
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

There is a large free public parking lot where the car ferry comes in. It is probably a five minute walk to Grande Bay.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

We just got back from a stay at Grande Bay in a 3 bdrm and 2 (4 door) Jeep Liberty's The parking can be a bit tight especially if your spot is between 2 poles but as Tracy said it is doable just take your time and yes use your mirrors. We rented from O'Connor in town. We were able to get a 2nd spot for 1 night in GB and we did one night at Slim Man's as we were getting an early start in the am, the rest of the time we left the car at the Westin as O'Connor has a site there so it was never questioned. The public lot was recommended but only if your spare is inside the truck and not on the back.