Getting to Yost

Travel discussion for St. John
loverotties

Getting to Yost

Post by loverotties »

We are a group of 7 adults wanting to spend the day on Yost . We are trying to decide should we take Dolphin Water Taxi or Inner Island Ferry ? Is the Dolphin worth the extra $80.00 ? Will we be spending too much time @ customs on the ferry ?
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
mrl38

Re: Getting to Yost

Post by mrl38 »

I would recommend using a private powerboat rental out of St Thomas or St. John instead of Dolphin Water Taxi. For seven people you are going to spend over $100 each on DWT to get there and back, you can get a nice, private, charter boat for around the same price most likely. Something to look into and it will be the highlight of your trip. DWT has gotten some recent horrible reviews on Tripadvisor.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I agree - book a private charter. It will take you right to the beach by Soggy's (I'm assuming that's where you want to go 8) ) And you can make other stops in the BVIs if you'd like. If you enjoy snorkeling, The Indians and The Caves are not to be missed. Lunch at The Willy T is awesome. A stop at Sandy Spit or Sandy Cay is always cool. If you can afford the charter cost, it's the best way to get there.
lazylane

Re: Getting to JOST

Post by lazylane »

We have used Dolphin from Red Hook, but have always done a private charter to Jost Van Dyke! But we visit lots of other spots first before ending up on Jost Van Dyke. either way, you will enjoy!!
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

When we went two years ago, we just used the ferry. I think it left the National Park dock at 8:30 and we were at the Soggy Dolly Bar by around 9:00. I think it leaves to go back to St John at 3:30 and it took a little longer going back because they made an additional stop in Tortolla. The ferry was not crowded at all and it was a nice ride. We plan on doing this again on our trip in May.
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

We did the charter last yr. to Yost , snorkled the Indians & Caves , Norman Island , Willy T etc. but this yr. we want to spend all our time on Yost . Thanks for the replys .
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Dare I say ... the Palm Tree Charters Express?? :)
Jenn, News of St. John
kklay

Post by kklay »

Last November we tried the Ferry to Jost. There were 10 of us total and while it was OK, we'll not go this way again. We will hire a private charter. I'm sure some of the reason had to do with the Captain of the ferry, he was very unhappy that he had to stop in Tortola (both going and returning). There was also an "incident" at the dock area prior to the return trip with the Captain and another woman trying to board the vessel. I won't provide details however I was shocked that a captain would behave in such a manner. It really put a damper on our day!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

News of St. John wrote:Dare I say ... the Palm Tree Charters Express?? :)
They may not be going on the weekend. ;)

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

mrl38

Post by mrl38 »

Private charters will take you right over to Jost and back, no issues, and no hassle with customs, no hassle with other guests, best day of the vacation hands down.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

We are a party of 8 and had the same issue. Decided to charter a boat through St. John Boat Rental. Turns out to be about the same price and we can go anywhere we want. Boat comes with a captain, so we tell him where we want to go and sit back and enjoy. We plan to hit several spots in the BVI's.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
cruzing

Post by cruzing »

Give Captain Tom at Sadie Sea a call.