Trip Report 4/13- 4/24

Travel discussion for St. John
shoemak38

Re: Trip Report 4/13- 4/24

Post by shoemak38 »

Must be something about New England and suntan lotion. Okay you 20 cans of spray definitely are going to surpass the 10 cans we plan to bring down. Costco’s has the same deal with Coppertone spray and lotion. You missed a light dusting of snow last night around the area. Hawksnest is one of my favorite beaches. You’re going to make the next 10 days a long wait made better by reading your reports.

You will not get the great same-day reports out of me when we are down there in two weeks. :roll:
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Loving the live reports! Keep them coming please.

That spot on Hawksnest is my favorite. There's never anybody over there, not sure why.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

is this the spot you were at yesterday
ImageSnagit Capture by SHOEMAK38, on Flickr
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

LOVING this!!!!! THANK YOU for sharing! :D
And oh my! The utes HAVE grown up! Time flies!
The weather sure does look lovely!
Gibney and Hawksnest....two of our faves.
We haven't tried DaLivio's in all of our trips. May have to add it to "The List."
Y'all have fun!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Oh my... The start to this trip is much smoother than the last start.
So happy things are going well!

PS: Love that picture from the beach. The air looks so clear - not hazy at all.
Wow... sure makes for stunning pictures!

Thanks for sharing!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Shoe, is that Little Hawksnest? Facing the water we were as far to the right as you can go before the rock outcropping that separates Hawksnest and Little Hawksnest although I heard that Gibney used to be called Little Hawksnest before it was Oppenheimer too. I can certainly understand why some newbies could become confused!

Yesterday we went to Honeymoon and then Caneel Beach Bar for lunch. Sushi was good- maybe not outstanding like it was last year but good. Our good friends from Rockport arrived yesterday so we enjoyed a welcome martini and all walked down to the Landing for dinner. Excellent waiter who we recognized from years past at Rhumblines and the place just has a great vibe. Fish tacos were excellent, too.

Again the pool and hot tub hop with the glittering jewel box of STT in the distance wraps up another thoroughly enjoyable day. Gotta slow that clock down.

Here are some of my favorite shots from the last few days. Never tried to post a panorama before so please forgive any operator error.

We're sitting in the sun on Honeymoon watching it rain on STT

mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Great photos! Love it!
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

yeah mon!! nice pics and report.

Peace!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Thanks guys. Honeymoon is beautiful, as always, but I do regret the new concession area with all the big plastic toys and big chairs and lounges. It's a whole heck of a lot of clutter and bout 4 times the number of people as it used to be. There were about 3 cats packed full of people- must have been day charters. and a bunch of boats moored and anchored just off the beach. From now on we'll go really early and clear off by noon.

Naturally, since the crowd turned us off a little where do we select as Thursday's beach? Trunk of course. Before you declare me kooky look at the photos below- same principle as Hawksnest. We always find this end of the beach empty. I just don't get it. It's beautiful and private with plenty of shade and you'd never know there was another soul on the beach. Wouldn't you think it would be the first spot taken? Maybe people figure it is too much trouble to walk all the way to the end but it is worth every step imo. But I wasn't the one lugging the cooler so do what you have to do. There were some pretty dramatic skies as giant black clouds appeared. We thought we'd be poured upon but the front moved right on over us with barely a sprinkle. Jost disappeared from view for a few minutes so I imagine their cisterns were refreshed, if only just a little. Within minutes it was crystal clear sky again with fluffy white cumulus accents.

Afterward, we had a nice lunch at Shipwreck and we were discussing birds with the waitress there. She told us that the intelligent Pearly Eyed Trasher I'd been rather fond of despite his penchant for thievery is also a murderer. She witnessed one fatal attack of a Banana Quit for reasons unknown. She also told us that the Banana Quit population had been diminished in the past few years but they seem to be making a comeback this year. I hope the villainous Thrasher does not discourage their return.

Had a casual dinner with our friends at Joe's bar and the boys all hung out together at Gallows. Another great day. I haven't even snorkled yet. Partly because I am in love with my book. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. I don't think I've loved a book this much since Don't Stop the Carnival. Great vacation read. You heard it here.
beebs

Post by beebs »

I'm traveling to St. John for my first trip there in June. Reading your trip review is making me very anxious for June to arrive :D Thanks for posting!!!!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I loved, loved Beautiful Ruins! Great book. Can't wait to see where you ended up today.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Cant wait to read that book too because the cover reminds me of this place:

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
SheilaW1

Post by SheilaW1 »

Hi - loving your daily updates and pictures and they are making me really look forward to our trip in June! BTW - just read the Beautiful Ruins and loved it. Thought I would save it for the June STJ beach read, but started it and then couldn't put it down :)
Image[/url]
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

Thank you,thank you, thankyou for allowing me to vaca vicariously.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Hello Agent 99!
I'm glad to hear you are having such a relaxing trip!

- Ruth
- Ruth, St. John Spice